Monday 1 November 2010

Strawberry Hearts Quilt

  I've been meaning to show you my Strawberry Hearts Quilt for quite a while.
 I finished it earlier this year, before I began my blog. It did actually make a brief appearance on my Strawberry Season post in June, but here it is now in a bit more of its summery detail. I made this quilt just for me, with some fabrics left over from projects from my last book, Simple Sewn Gifts, and some of my favourite CK florals including the strawberries on blue design that I love. I interspersed the flowery patches with plain crisp white to allow the hearts to stand out and then I quilted round them with red cotton. I also added some little fabric loops to the patches here and there. I used a tape measure print for these, and sewed extra little pieces on here and there to echo the loops. I used Bondaweb for all the applique shapes and embroidered round them with blanket stitch before sewing the squares together. This quilt was fun to make!


I had quite a few squares of flower fabric left over from my quilt so I sewed them all together and made a little cushion. I'm working on another patchwork quilt again this week, this time a magazine commission so it's top secret for now! Hope you all have a lovely week, and wishing you lots of sunny autumn days. x

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

What an absolutely beautiful quilt Helen!
I adore strawberries and I agree that CK print with the strawberries on blue is beautiful!
I think the tape measures are a very clever and quirky idea.
Love it!!
Have a good week. :)
Vivienne x

mynestofyarnandbuttons said...

Happy November 1st to you! Didn't October fly by, it amazes me how fast time goes by. Love love your personal quilt for you! It is so pretty, love the fabrics, loops and basicly the entire goodness of it all. I think it is such a keepsake for you to have the leftovers from your book made into something you can enjoy! Happy day to you! xo Robin❤

Mandy said...

Recently found your lovely blog! What a wonderfully talented lady you are! Your work is so inspiring and interesting. I have put your lastest book on my birthday wishlist! I am a beginner to craft but enjoying it as a hobby. :)

Marigold Jam said...

It's lovely - I just wish I had the patience to do something like that!

Jane

...Nina Nixon... said...

That is so beautiful - it does actually remind me of strawberries and cream.

Nina xxx

cathleen said...

So pretty, Helen. It's definitely my kind of quilt and the cushion is adorable! Have a happy cozy day!

Mia said...

So wonderful set: the quilt and the cushion! I love all the fabric and would so love to have these on my sofa right now :)

Happy greetings from Finland!

Yours,
Mia

AdeY said...

It's absolutely gorgeous, I must show my daughter for she will love it :-)

sweetmyrtle said...

love the hearts quilt. i am hoping to create a quilt for each of my daughters for christmas. i think i shall keep them very simple and choose all their favourite colours.I plan to start on it this weekend.. all very exciting x

Teje said...

Hi Helen! This your Heart Quilt is so sweet and beautiful! And I like very much that style of stiching around the squares! Lately I have been working more with yarn but already planning bigger quilt! Thank you for this lovely post as well a all your wonderful blog!
Sunny wishes from Crete! Teje

Connys Cottage said...

hello,

wat a very very swee and wunderful quilt.

greatings send you Conny

Michele T said...

It is very pretty, love the colours, thanks for sharing and inspiring!

Unknown said...

Wow! Gorgeous! Will you share the pattern?

Concha de Aromadetela said...

Me encanta, es un estilo alegre, fresco y sobre todo, rápido. Felicidades.

Jill Radeke said...

I really like the fabric. The roses, the color, it's cheerful, romantic, girly. Like, like, like.

blog said...

your blog is very interesting, I will visit again in the next article
menghilangkan sakit maag ibu hamil dan anak dengan cepat

Anonymous said...

Ms Philipps. This is the most beautiful sweet quilt. It is late here in Murfreesboro, Tn. but I have gotten so much enjoyment from your sewing, etc. Thank you for sharing your talent with quilting. Love it. Dee

Queenquilt said...

Beautiful quilt. Where can I get the pattern? Absolutely love the colors.