Friday 19 November 2010

Stitching Stars

One night last week we saw the clearest skies and the most stars we've seen for ages - so sharp, bright and twinkling. Soon I'll be putting Christmas lights in all the windows. (I've already got a string of fairy lights in the kitchen to brighten up my cooking.) One of my favourite things is seeing all kinds of little lights in different houses shining through the winter darkness in such a warm, welcoming way.
 This week I've been stitching some little stuffed stars to make a decoration. I haven't decided on the final colour way yet - I might keep it all cool blues and turquoises or add in some pink and red....
 Sometimes one colour works best and looks the most stylish - but I have such a love of colours and their effect on each other I find it hard to resist combining them. I think that's why pretty floral designs work so well for me - the mixture of colours is delicious to my eye!
 It's not just been stitching stars here, but baking them too. These are Vanilla Star Cookies - which are really just the basic cookie recipe with a couple of drops of vanilla essence added. I put some in the freezer to have later in the season. I might make some more as gifts too, as they look pretty in a cellophane bag tied with ribbon or raffia, with a homemade tag.
            We did keep one or two to try - just to make sure they really were good enough to eat!
I'm looking forward to this weekend, with winter walks, sewing, and cosy family time. I hope you all have a  lovely weekend with starry nights and sunny days. x

13 comments:

Marigold Jam said...

You always need to taste in the interests of quality control don't you?! Love those little fabric stars - aren't they difficult to turn inside out and keep pointy? I think I'd probably have a problem there.

Jane

sandra said...

Hi, Helen. I love your stars. They are so lovely and neat. Every time I try to make small stuffed hanging things they always end up odd shapes!

...Nina Nixon... said...

Although I'm quick to close our curtains at this time of the year I do love going out for a walk early evening and see all the homely warm and cosy twinkling going on too - that and the smell of wood smoke in the air.

Have a fabulous weekend,

Nina xxx

Janet said...

Oh Wow Helen, I had no idea you did all this lovely stuff. Your blog is delightful, I've really enjoyed spending the last half an hour reading it. I am so in love with your patchwok quilt and especially the cushion.
If you ever would liek to make some things for the gallery I would love to discuss this with you, just email me.
Thanks for the comment, bye for now x

mynestofyarnandbuttons said...

My, oh my Helen, you have done it again. Love the stars. We have had magnificant starry nights also. Don't know what to say able the color choices, I guess just trial and error. Those cookies look scrumptious, I could just devour one(or two) right up! The points on your stars are so nicely done. Great job! Have a wonderful weekend. xo Robin❤

Anonymous said...

Love your little stars, especially those shades of blue, very pretty!
Of course you must always try out the biscuits, very important to do that!!
I like to see starry skies too, it means no rain clouds about, always a bonus.
Hvae a lovely weekend Helen!
Vivienne x

Handmade with love by G said...

Lovely and neatly stuffed stars. The cookies look delicious too. Planning to bake some tomorrow, but I'm afraid to eat them all myself :)

Anonymous said...

That sounds like a great weekend ahead.

Anonymous said...

Like others I was impressed with your sharp points, you will have to share your hints! What are you going to hang the stars on? or are they going to be banners?
Too many questions...

Teje said...

Dear Helen, I hope you have a wonderful weekend! I would like to give you 'The Beautiful Blogger Award'! It's always enjoy to visit you and see your beautiful creations and get inspiration!
Love Teje

Scented Sweetpeas said...

Loving those stars and the colours, have a fab weekend.

Julia said...

Wasn't the sky bright last week? We all said it looked like the stars were bigger and closer than ever, and you know what? I saw a shooting star!! I couldn't believe it, but apparently there is some kind of meteor shower occuring, very lucky though to spot one!

Those biscuits look gorgeous and tasty!! They would make a lovely gift I agree - something very special about hand made gifts! The stars you are sewing also look good, I wonder what you are making?

Sending love
Julia x x x

sweetmyrtle said...

i love the colours of your stars, can't wait to see them put together. my small girl designed a wee star a few years ago with a happy smiley face on the front. it really was cheery. your posts are making me feel very festive : )