Thursday 4 November 2010

Splash of Colour

 The inspiration for today's post was silverpebbles's idea to cheer up the gloomy dark days by sharing colourful pictures. I think it's a lovely idea and I'm sure it will help us get through the dreary days to have our blogs showing this series during the first week of each month for four months (and then it will be spring!) Emma has also set up a flickr site devoted to the splashes of colour pictures.

One of the main things that helps keep me feeling positive and cheerful during the dark winter days is working with colour. It can be paint, threads or fabrics - just the sight of all this colour really lifts my spirits and designing and making things speeds the winter days along. (The little bird applique pincushion above is not quite finshed - I want to add a little more embroidery and maybe some more buttons, but I thought I'd pop it on here anyway.)
These bright storage boxes have been in my studio for a long time and I love the colours. They hide away things like printer cartridges and card blanks so I always know where they are when I need them. The felt is soon to be used for a project, but in the meantime I just like looking at it!
I hope you are having a lovely day and enjoying lots of splashes of colour too. x

10 comments:

Marigold Jam said...

Love those boxes and the little applique too!

Jane

Anonymous said...

Great to see you're joining in too Helen!
The pincushion is so sweet and isn't it great to hide boring things like printer cartridges away in lovely bright boxes!
Vivienne x

Pipany said...

I have managed to get my stupid laptop to work just long enough to say I LOVE your quilt in the last post Helen! Phew off for a rest now xx

silverpebble said...

Hello Helen! Lovely to visit here. My eyes are drawn to that little house-like decoration on your pin cushion - what is it? Your boxes are so lovely and bright. I'm thrilled that you've joined in - thankyou! I hope you enjoyed seeking out colour like this - I know I have.

Helen Philipps said...

Hello Emma! Lovely to hear from you. The button on my pincushion is the Pink and Blue Birdhouse button from Just Another Button Company.Am loving the splash of colour theme - thanks for thinking of it.
Helen x

mynestofyarnandbuttons said...

Hi Helen, It took my breath away for a moment when I opened your blog. Color, Color, Color and I think the birdie pin cushion is the best. So simple but so detailed, I just love it. You are my new inspiration! Thank you and have a great day and weekend. Love to see pin cushion all done, too, if you can.
xo Hugs, Robin

sweetmyrtle said...

i love the 'splashes of colour 'i am seeing here in blogland. just the thing to brighten up november. love the sweet birdie pin cushion. i am so wanting bright colours around me just now and your site is such a happy, uplifting and colourful place.
wishing you a wonderful weekend Helen.
warmest wishes
Ginny x

Mia said...

This post brightened my day, Thank you! I love those boxes and how sweet little birdie...

Happy weekend!

Yours,
Mia

Scented Sweetpeas said...

Gorgeous gorgeous colour - oohh and that bird has won my heart, it is so cute!

Barbara said...

Such fabulous storage boxes to hide the essentials in and I just love your strawberry quilt from the last post.
Commenting quickly before my computer decides to have another funny fit ... Happy sewing, Barbara x