Friday 21 July 2023

Old English Quilt

Hello again dear readers......today i'm sharing a new quilt inspired by an antique quilt...
.......lots of people are surprised now when i use black in my designs, but when i painted surface pattern designs in the 70's and 80's i often used black backgrounds on my florals.....when i saw the antique version of this quilt i just loved the contrast of the brights and darks, and the fact that it was set on point too.....
..........for the backing i used gingham and added a band of bright floral ribbon to tie in to the colourful front.......the pattern for the old english quilt is now in my etsy shop link in sidebar.......and the name???
..........the name was inspired by the spangles sweets we had as children.....the colours as i was cutting the patches reminded me of the old english flavour spangles and the temporary name stuck......
..........and i also came across this old advert showing a wonderful patchwork skirt......
.........design ideas are all around us all the time....even if we don't always realise it.......
......i love my new version of this old quilt and i think it will be a very cosy fireside quilt........
..........a few more bright quilts now from this week's quilt stack........
.........and big bright dahlias are now appearing each day in our cutting patch.........
...........lots of pinks and pinky reds.......
...........a nice bright week (apart from the odd rain shower!)...........
............thank you for popping in here to see me dear readers and for your kind comments....always a treat to hear from you.......hope you're having a nice bright and cheery july with sunny days, flowers and lots of crafty inspirations...........take care lovelies.................peace and love...............back soon xxxxxxxxxxxxxx 
 

7 comments:

Gail said...

The black makes every colour just pop. I love it.

greenrabbitdesigns said...

I think the black is fabulous and the effect it creates is amazing ... just love your new quilt Helen.
I love those old posters for Spangles, the Old English variety were great ... my favourites were the mustard and black wrappers. Speaking of wrappers I used to smooth them out and keep them for crafts ... and all that for a thrupenny bit! :)
Gorgeous dahlias, I'm just going to enjoy them through your blog Helen because they just don't happen here sadly! :( 🐌
Happy weekend my friend,
V x

Linda said...

Wow, you did surprise me with the black. Would have never guessed it was you! But, it's a beautiful cozy looking quilt. I also love that it's on point. The flowers are gorgeous!!

butterfly said...

Thank you for another post of beauty.
I wish you a lovely weekend , hugs June.

Elsa Louise said...

Love the black. It is terribly chic and sophisticated.

Cam said...

Your site is so inspiring! thank you for sharing your country, home, gardens, and talents with us.
My friend asked if the quilt at the top of this blogpost was done with a pantograph or prostitcher. She is in her 80's and quilts for herself- not commercially. Is the pattern called clam shells? Thank you. Cam Morgan

Cam said...

Cam did not clarify which quilt I was asking about-it was the Irish chain quilt on a white rocker that had a vase of flowers by it. Cam