Tuesday 28 April 2020

Vintage Charm Quilt

 Hello dear readers.....hope you are well and safe reading this week's post from my little bit of blog land.......this is one of the quilts i've been working on during lockdown.....
 .............i had a lot of 5in squares left over from charm packs and decided to combine them in a charm quilt....some of the fabrics are richer and darker than my usual palette but i love them too and especially combined with lighter florals....i think it gives a very vintage feel.....
 ............i also made lots of fussy cut rose appliques (backed with fusible web) and scattered them over the quilt, sewing them in place with blanket stitch.....
 ............here's the quilt on the kitchen table a couple of weeks ago having the layers pinned together......
 .............and here's a picture of the quilting style.....straight line quilting at 1/2 in intervals on some squares and on others different patterns using the stripes as a guide or quilter's tape to form diagonal lines......
...............have been reading a lot, both new books on my kindle and some old favourites that i'm re reading like nella last's diaries here......
 ............and on a sadder vintage note.....our lovely cath kidston shops all across the uk are closed...not just because of coronavirus like many shops but permanently :(....so sad to see those pretty pastel painted shops disappear from our high streets though luckily we can still buy online from their website.....here is a table full of CK china ready for afternoon tea.....
 .............and here is a big treat we had this weekend.....a homemade strawberry and raspberry trifle...
 ...........tulip time now......these were some planted in a pot on the patio....later i'll put them in the cottage garden so i can be sure of some pink ones in there next spring.....
.............i want to say a big thank you to those lovely readers who told me the blossom i showed last week looked like crabapple blossom....yes, and isn't it just the prettiest......am now wondering if we can squeeze a little crabapple tree into our garden......thank you everyone who left me a comment about it :) x
 ..........today is a little bit grey and rainy here after all that endless sunshine and blue sky....but the garden will be glad of the rain and we planted the sweetpeas yesterday so a nice drink will be good for them....so the seasons and the flowers continue in nature despite all the turmoil of the world at the moment...........just keep on keeping on everyone.....
.............thank you for your visits here lovely readers and your kind comments......wishing you a peaceful week with sunny days, happy moments and plenty of crafty inspirations....stay safe and take care..............................back soon xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx 

19 comments:

Gail said...

You don't need a lot of space for a crab apple tree - mine is just over 6feet tall - it's bushy and has loads of blossoms every year - we have lots of birds who eat the fruit - our tree is old but with regular pruning we keep it manageable.

greenrabbitdesigns said...

I think that may be my favourite quilt of yours Helen ... well maybe along with the cherry quilt!! :)
I'm so sad about CK, I know we can buy online but it was always so lovely to have a little wander around her shops!
I do love your quest for pink tulips :) .... and now I want a crab apple tree too!!
Happy week my friend,
V x

Elizabethd said...

I too have a small Crabapple, about 6 feet. It gave me 2 pounds of John Downie apples last year which are the ones that you can make jelly with.
So sad to lose both Laura Ashkey and Cath kidston.

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

The light and darker squares stand out nicely right away. The rose appliques and line stitching blend well. Beautiful quilting.

I've heard on television that some businesses are finding online sales easier, and, offer a good flow of business. I expect more shops might focus online instead of a brick and mortar store with healthy overhead costs.

Stay Well & Safe!

Linda said...

Thank you for a new post! You always have such beautiful things to enjoy. I really like the vintage and scrappy color combinations in the quilt. Thank you for sharing. I look forward to your posts. :-)

Lorrie said...

Your charm quilt is well named, for charming it is. I'm fond of scrappy projects.
Have a wonderful week, Helen.

Rosemary B❤️ said...

Helen, you have such sweet and encouraging photos. I love the tulips and your quilt top.
I am so sorry your favorite shop closed. This Pandemic has ruined so much. Let's really hope we can re-create at some point, all the the best things we had.
Most important that people still have their health and their lives.
Your blog is so encouraging Thank you for checking in with all of us

Teresa Kasner said...

Hi Helen, I love the old-fashioned look of that quilt. It reminds me of the first quilts, made out of necessity, of leftovers from dresses and shirts and curtains. I can see it on a big quilt frame, worked on in the evenings, by the fire, by lamplight, after a long day of working to feed and clothe your family. I saw today that the CK stores are closing, it's sad. Do take care and I'm sending my good wishes across the pond to you. ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

Marilyn McLeod @ Pink Paper Cottage said...

As usual, LOVE your post and all the bright pinks and flowers.. your lovely vintage quilt is so so pretty.. I too love the darker colors mixed in here and there and really adds to the vintage look. My hubby and I planted a crabapple tree two years ago and this is the first year it's blooming and is so pretty! I love the red balls first, and then the gorgeous pink blooms. We are now thinking of putting one in our back yard too.... the one we bought was one of the last ones at the grocery store and we felt sorry for it, so bought it for very cheap! It was just a "twig", about 3 feet high, and now is a nice 6 or 7 feet and looking lovely! We don't have much color where we live in this dry climate - hardly any flowers here in spring, so is nice to look out our front window and see the pink blossoms. Only wish it would bloom all summer! Stay safe.. Marilyn

Kc'sCourt said...

Gorgeous and so much inspiration

Julie xxxxxx

Elderberry-Rob said...

shame about CK shops going under, can't understand why - her stuff was so popular. Your quilt is pretty, I like a bit of vintage.

Christine B said...

Love your newest quilt Helen! The quilting is just fabulous! Such pretty blossom in your garden too. The blossom here hasn't lasted very long this Spring.... I think it is because we haven't had enough rain and the trees are losing the blossom to save water! It has been a beautiful Spring! Enjoy the rest of your week! Christine xx

Heartsease79742451.wordpress.com said...

I love this quilt , sad too about cath kidston but I did receive an email yesterday about them hoping to re establish , maybe looking for a buyer . Stay safe x

Linda @ Itsy Bits And Pieces said...

Such a lovely post, Helen...the quilt really does have a wonderful, charming vintage feeling! Wish I could join you for those lovely desserts! Glad you are doing well...So sorry to hear about the Cath Kidston shops.

butterfly said...

I love popping to your blog , it's always so pretty with things that I love .
I have found a couple of your books in my stash .
So once the sun comes out at the weekend ,it will be my read in my summer house .
I can see a few things that have taken my fancy.
Have a happy week.

Sam I Am...... said...

When I had my little farm I had a long straight driveway with flowering crab apple trees lining one side of the driveway. They were beautiful and all different colors. When the flowers started falling they covered the driveway with blossoms and it was simply magical!
I love your quilt....possibly my favorite! I wrote down the book title too as I am always looking for good book recommendations. Thank you!
I can't believe CK is closing! I love her items and her colors and I actually have a Pinterest board devoted to her and her style. I also have a few of her books. Thank goodness we can still order online!
Your strawberry trifle looks yummy! Now I want strawberries! I made a lemon meringue pie yesterday so I will have to eat that first (it's one of my favorite pies). Please stay safe and stay well and thank you for your lovely posts that are such a happy inspiration!

Jacky H said...

What a lovely post to read in these uncertain times. I was so sorry to here Laura Ashley have closed down.
I love your new,colour way of your quilt.
I'm using up scrapes at the moment..
Stay safe Helen.

Barwitzki said...

Hello, so nice that I discovered you ... you have such a nice blog.
I am happy to come back. Too bad the Cath Kidston stores are disappearing.
I love your blanket - a nice quilt and the fabrics are wonderful - and the beautiful porcelain.
Have a good evening and a wonderful week.
Many greetings from Viola

Rhona said...

Lovely new quilt and it's nice to see how you combine the fabrics even though they are not your usual colour palette, they look wonderful.
Sad to hear about the CK shops....love your tea set, so pretty!