Tuesday 18 July 2017

Trip Around the World Quilt

 Hello again lovely readers.....here i am (a little later than planned this week due to computer issues) with my big trip around the world quilt freshly quilted in a pattern called sticky buns :)......
 ............i have shown this quilt as a work in progress here before........it was a challenge to choose fabrics for each round so there was plenty of contrast but so it still looked pretty to me.....i love making traditional patterns in fresh colours..........
 ...........i pinned it up on the wall in my sewing room to try and show the whole quilt in one shot....it is not easy to photograph quilts sometimes....lots of climbing about can be involved :)............
 ...........here's a random shot where you can see the spotted border fabric in navy and white and the spotted backing fabric in red and white as well as the binding............
 ...............on the wall again behind my sewing table.........
 .............the squares measure 2 inches and this quilt was sewn by hand during lots of peaceful evenings...........it was longarm machine quilted for me by the wonderful debbie holland at longarm-quilting.com............
 .............for a few of the rows i fussy cut the patches...........two flowery rows and the row of little elephants on red (from jodie carleton's backyard circus collection) ...........many of the fabrics are from the beautiful pam kitty morning ranges......lots of my favourites are in this quilt..........there is also a row of turquoise fabric that i got at the v and a quilt show a few years ago, specially printed for the show by liberty..............
 ..............i love the swirly quilting pattern and how it contrasts with the squares.........
 ............and here's the quilt below on the spare bed..........
 ...............and neatly folded with a bunny on top (this is lettuce)............
 ...............besides taking quilt pictures, having computer stresses, and lovely visits to and from sweet friends over the last few days i've also been spending lots of time in the garden....weeding mainly, listening to the bees and birds and watching the butterflies and dragonflies....looking up at the blue sky and enjoying these summer days.........i cut some of our plentiful hydrangeas to bring in for instant colour...........
................thank you for visiting me here dear readers and for your kind and lovely comments.......i hope you are having a wonderful week and enjoying your summer (or winter) days wherever you may be................have a happy time filled with crafty inspirations.............back soon xxxxxxxxxx

33 comments:

greenrabbitdesigns said...

Awe little lettuce looks like the Princess and the Pea! :)
What a fabulous quilt...it's very much at home on your wall Helen as its a work of art! I love the swirly quilting pattern....and its name!
I think it must be a good year for hydrangeas, I have so many too, great being able to get out into the garden on these beautiful days.
Have wonderful week,
V x

Libby said...

Beautiful quilt..............I am in total awe, hand stitching this entire quilt, just beautiful !!!!

KC'sCourt! said...

WOW! its gorgeous

Julie xxxx

Becky said...

I recently found your blog and am truly in awe of all that you create! Thank-you for sharing your life and creations. I live far away in a very rural area of the US, and don't often get to meet with other people that love to knit, quilt, etc. By reading your blog, I do have a sense of "knowing" someone else that loves crafting. So, thank-you.
Becky from Alabama

my4lilgirls said...

It's a stunning quilt, must be a joy to finish it and have it cover a bed. The fabrics are beautiful too
Karen xxxxxx

my4lilgirls said...

It's a stunning quilt, must be a joy to finish it and have it cover a bed. The fabrics are beautiful too
Karen xxxxxx

my4lilgirls said...

It's a stunning quilt, must be a joy to finish it and have it cover a bed. The fabrics are beautiful too
Karen xxxxxx

Teresa Kasner said...

Wow, Helen.. that quilt is magic and gorgeous and wonderful! Such pretty colors, you did a great job of selecting each row to work as a whole. I also have a bouquet of hydrangeas on my table in the prettiest cut glass purple pitcher (photo on blog post today). I got a new tablecloth that I bet you will love also in the photo. Lots of PINK! I think you're the one who has inspired me to bring more pink into my life. So.. thank you! ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

Brenda Pruitt said...

What a beautiful quilt! I made one of those type quilts, and gave it to my oldest daughter. I wish I'd made another for me.
Brenda

PamKittyMorning said...

I love this so much. I love how you have it laid out and all the fabrics(of course!!)

Janet Taber said...

I just love your Trip around the World! I made one a few years ago, duplicating a photo in a magazine feature on a woman who quilted in the 30s. Hence, her fabrics were from that era, and I tried to find reproductions that were close to hers. Again, I also hand pieced it the old-fashioned way -- making each trip individually, so with MANY set-in seams. But I enjoyed it so much and think I might do another, this time in baby-quilt size. I love, love, love your choice of fabrics and have never quite had the knack of using the brights -- it's why I love your blog so much! Someday I'm going to be a brave girl and try a brights quilt.

Mylittlepieceofengland said...

How beautiful, I love the bright colours and the quilting is fabulous too xx

Mickie said...

Helen,
What a wonderful work of art! I am also in awe of your perseverance with all the hand stitching, and the perfect selection of bright fabrics. The swirly quilt pattern is just the right choice for this quilt. I have also been enjoying these beautiful days on my patio, watching the butterflies and hummingbirds in my flower beds.
Thank you for sharing.
Mickie, Indiana USA

Jennifer Hays said...

Oh, wow! This quilt is incredible. The colors are so crisp and bright, I just love it. Beautiful work, as always. Hope your computer issues are solved quickly. Enjoy these summer days, Helen!

mac said...

Beautiful. Loving the contrast between rows.

Jayne Honnold said...

What a gorgeous quilt! I admire your efforts to make it by hand, and your care in fabric selection and fussy cutting. :)

Deborah W said...

Hand sewn? Oh my! You are such an inspiration, Helen :)

Amy at love made my home said...

It is stunning! Beautiful work, beautiful fabrics and just all round - the world! - wonderful!!! Love the little elephants!

Teje said...

Gorgeus quilt, Helen! I'm always happy to see your cute bunnies and beautiful projects! x Teje

Vanessa said...

Wow! This is beautiful! Love your choice of fabrics!

Jacky H said...

Well, what can l say that hasn't already been said by the lovely ladies above. You are such an inspiration your style speaks for itself. I love everything you do.
Have a lovely week Helen.

Rhona said...

Your finished quilt is amazing! I understand completely how difficult it is getting a shot of the whole thing....I never know how to get pictures of my crochet blankets! Hope you don't have any more computer issues.....we all need our weekly dose of inspiration from you Helen! :)

Elderberry-Rob said...

your quilt is absolutely spectacular! the colour combination is just perfecct. Lettuce looks pretty, I miss my Beatrix bunny - she was given to a small girl to stop her crying (it worked) :)

Bekki said...

The colours are balanced really well, it's very, very pretty! You have such patience to hand sew all of that :)

Jo said...

That is amazing! I am binding a quilt at the moment so this is spurring me on to finish it. Just beautiful. Jo x

Anonymous said...

Mdm.Helen,
This quilt took my breath away 😀💐 fantastic and brilliantly made.
I am wonderstruck by the stunning fabrics and just pondering who manufactures those lovely ones...
I think all the quilters around the world are having a special feature in their brain. 🎉❤️🍀

Enjoy the summer when it lasts...take care
😀❤️
Cherry

Cream Linen said...

Really beautiful Helen, a work of art,indeed!I hope you are having a lovely summer.Tina xxx

Cream Linen said...

Really beautiful Helen, a work of art,indeed!I hope you are having a lovely summer.Tina xxx

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

Beautiful Quilt!
The work that goes into such a beauty is mind boggling to me.

cristina said...

No words.... awesome, Helen!!!! love your new quilt! It's perfect!!!!
Have a nice and a lovely day

Thimbleanna said...

Love Love Love!!! I really need to get back to my trip around the world, but I love your colors so much more LOL!!! Beautiful!!!

Simone said...

A beautifully made quilt Helen. I like how the trim and backing co-ordinates with the spotty (toad)stool!! x

Sam I Am...... said...

Thank you for taking the time to take so many challenging photos of your beautiful accomplishment! The fabrics are gorgeous and I never thought about fussy cutting for certain rows...love the effect. I think it is one of your most beautiful quilts...of course,...I love them all! LOL! Have a great week!