Thursday 16 September 2010

Flag Flying

Today's post is all about flags. The Union Jack design to be exact which has been appearing on textiles in one form or another for quite a while now. I had a go at designing my own and made this cross stitch pin cushion as a project for Crafts Beautiful magazine, accompanied by a little matching needlebook.
I rather liked replacing the usual vivid red, white and blue with pastel shades of the colours, and I used some of my favourite pink and white candy striped cotton to back the pincushion. The needle book uses fab dotty pink felt from Hobbycraft stores.

The vintage effect flag bunting has been hanging in my kitchen window for a few weeks now and will probably stay there a bit longer, until the next decorating craze takes me over - maybe Halloween or Christmas.


The flag cushion is one I bought - I've seen lots of them about, some of them in beautiful fabrics. I like this one with it's cheerful and pretty mix of dotty and floral prints. The tiny flag heart is currently hanging on the dining room door - I'm not sure where it will end up - I haven't found the perfect place for it yet...but I will!




Now I'm off to do a bit more cross stitch - beginning a new little sampler which I hope to show you next time. x



6 comments:

Marigold Jam said...

Rule Britania eh?! Love all your flag-gy things.

Jane

debbie @ happy little cottage said...

Love the view outside your window! It looks like the leaves are changing color already. Can't decide which Union Jack I like best :)

Pipany said...

Hello Helen. I love the subtle shades of your Union Jack and have never seen it done like that before. Brilliant! x

sandra said...

Hi Helen. I really love your bunting. My daughter has a "thing" for Union Jacks so we have a very large old flag rescued from the tennis club of all places hanging in our family room (very trendy) and I am wrestling with a cushion for her. It is really hard to get the proportions of the strips right!!

barbara said...

Love the pink and blue together ... Your stitches are so very neat!

Solstitches said...

Oh I love the Union Jack pincushion and needle book.
Can you say which issue of Crafts Beautiful they appeared in so that I can scour eBay for a copy?
I just discovered your blog and I am really enjoying it.
Margaret