Tuesday 26 May 2020

Patchwork and Cottage Gardens

 Hello everyone........another busy crafty week has gone by and here is my new blog post with a little catch up.......in the sewing room LoTs of patchwork has been going on.....new and old fabrics being cut and sewn, arranged and rearranged......
 ........my vintage charm quilt was finished off with a red gingham binding.......i love this quilt and making it was so enjoyable..........new flower scissors were a gift......
 .............roses from the garden...........so many roses opening now each day and other flowers too....
 ..............luckily not much damage was done by the huge gale force winds we suffered last weekend....a few leaves and sticks came off the trees, but the cottage garden is quite sheltered and the plants there were ok even the tall ones...phew....
 ............but one highlight of the stormy winds was when part of the wisteria came loose (now fixed up again by mr p) and out fell the tiniest sweetest little bluetit's  nest (luckily with no birds or eggs in it).....the nest is a perfect little woven work of art...lined with the softest whitest fluffy down.....and studded with tiny purple wisteria flowers....and as i was staring at it i realised that woven in among all the natural nest material was unmistakably some of my dmc green embroidery thread...ahhhhhh...
 ............flower of the day today is....columbine...granny's bonnets, aquilegia...it has lots of names and i love it so much..........these pink ones are so gorgeous i had to have a close up picture............
 ...........such interesting shapes and colours..........
 ............and the lupin growing continues....on snail watch still but doing well in the cottage garden....as with all my flowers i always plant pink ones so these were a surprise but i love them......a sort of rhubarb and custard colour way.....
 ...........the next fabric play was this piece of collage/patchwork which is for a dress.....
 ...........a fun mixture of different prints with added appliques and words.....
 .............making a new patchwork dress for mabel, the big bunny, here below......she will be modelling it for us very soon............but for now here she is in her old gingham....the pattern for her (and her dress of course) is in my etsy shop link in sidebar............
............thank you for dropping by to see me here in my little blog space dear readers.........thank you for the sweet comments you leave which i always enjoy so much.....i hope you are all well and enjoying crafty, inspired, happy and cheerful moments during this strange time we are all going through......take good care of yourselves till next time............back soon xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

15 comments:

Teresa Kasner said...

What a dear, pleasant post, full of flowers, patchwork, pretty colors and that precious bird's nest. Dayle recently cut down some old dwarf variegated bamboo in our garden and found a tiny hummingbird's nest. I stuck it in the branches of his little bonsai pine tree. Sweet. I look forward to seeing the new patchwork dress on your bunny! ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

greenrabbitdesigns said...

Rhubarb and custard lupins .... I love that Helen. Pretty aquilegia too, mine are at last in bloom!!
That little nest is the sweetest and such a clever little sewer the little blue tit was. :)
I can't wait to see Mabel in her new dress!!
Have a great week lovely,
V x

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

Good to read you garden didn't suffer much in the wind storm.
The navy with tiny white stars is a nice change from white dots. For some reason, navy with white dots always reminds me of summer.

Kc'sCourt said...

Pretty flowers. Cottage garden and quilts, lovely

Julie xxxxxxxx

butterfly said...

Lovely patch work and flowers .
Another lovely post.

Jacky H said...

Your posts are such a joy to read. They brighten my day.
Love the combernations of fabrics you use
Have a lovely week Helen.

Lorrie said...

Such a lovely post, full of cozy things. The little nest is so sweet with your bit of embroidery floss woven into it.

Linda @ Itsy Bits And Pieces said...

I love the wonderful mix of fabrics you are using, Helen! So glad you didn't have damage from the winds! xo

Linda said...

Thank you for another lovely post full of eye candy!

My pincushion said...

I love the blue fabric with the stars and the roses added a beautiful mix. Always beautiful creations. Take care in these trying times xx

Sam I Am...... said...

After making that beautiful patchwork I would be hard-pressed to cut into it for the dress but it will be beautiful when you're done. I love your fabrics especially the numbers and the text ones add such an interesting feature to the overall patchwork. I'm sure Mabel cannot wait until you are finished with it!
So glad you didn't sustain damage to your lovely garden or home and also that the nest was empty. Such a sweet nest and to find some of your floss utilized in the making of it had to make you smile. I so enjoy the inspiration and the motivation you give me. Now, if I could only hire a cook, a gardener and a house cleaner I might have more time to create! LOL! I did start on your Dala horse for my daughter and another cross stitch from one of your books. Stay well!

Rhona said...

Beautiful patchwork...and gorgeous flowers!

Rosemary B❤️ said...

I always enjoy reading your blog, Helen.
stay happy and safe, enjoy the moments

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

The little quilt in the last photo is my favorite...all the colors I love best! Bunny is very sweet too! Take care!

Coco Rose Diaries said...

Oh that quilt...it's utterly beautiful! You have such a beautiful eye for colour.Take care xxxxxx