Monday 12 February 2018

Hearts and Snowdrops

 Happy new week everyone.....we have lots of hearts here today ready to celebrate valentine's day :).......this is my heartstrings quilt which is still a work in progress......
 ...........it is a lovely project to work on in between work commissions and other projects as it is easy to make a few applique hearts by hand and then join them together to make the bigger blocks by machine...
 ..............it is fun to choose lots of different red and blue fabrics for the hearts and also lots of low volume fabrics for the backgrounds............
 ..............the more varied the better and more interesting i think, like all the best scrappy quilts are.............
 ..............it has been very cold here the last few days and i have had lots of cups of tea and coffee....i like breakfast tea, lemon and ginger tea and peppermint tea at the moment and now and then a nice cup of hot coffee......
 ...............the applique hearts are stored in a pretty greengate tin until i have made enough to join a few blocks together..........
 ..................the flower this week has to be the snowdrop...........these are from our garden and they were almost buried in leaves at the bottom of a rosebush..........so now they are on my desk in a little glass jar and i can show them to you :).............
 ................yesterday we went on our annual snowdrop walk to see the many varieties that grow in botanical gardens not far away.............
 ................it was a bright and sunny day (between the hail showers) but the wind was strong and bitterly cold.....but we had to go or we might miss the snowdrops.......
 ...........it was worth braving the cold and was actually quite sheltered down in the gardens.....so many gorgeous snowdrops............and also hellebores and daphne flowering too.....such a delicious scent..
 ..............we were glad to have another nice hot cup of tea after the walk.............
 ..............and i was happy to get back to hand sewing patchwork hearts beside the fire.....
................thank you so much for dropping in to see me here lovely readers, and for your very kind comments.............wishing you a wonderful week, a happy valentine's day and plenty of crafty inspirations..................back soon xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

20 comments:

KC'sCourt! said...

Beautiful hearts and snowdrops

Julie xxxxx

Mylittlepieceofengland said...

Snowdrops are so pretty, how lovely to be so close to so many. Pretty hearts xx

greenrabbitdesigns said...

Your heartstrings quilt is amazing Helen.....so many different little hearts!!
What a lovely snowdrop walk (we had a snowy walk yesterday too), your little garden bunch is so pretty as well, sadly my snowdrops didn't appear this year, I do have trouble keeping them, in the ground and in pots, I don't know why!
Enjoy your heart sewing and happy Valentines!
V x

Kay said...

Your posts are always so pretty. x

Kate said...

How wonderful to see the snowdrops - they are so beautiful!!

Pom Pom said...

Hi Helen! Oh, lovely hearts! So pretty! I now have your sampler book and I'm leaning toward more cross stitch. I hope your week is full of crafty endeavors.

Elizabethd said...

Snowdrops en masse are just breathtaking.
Lovely hearts too.

Mickie said...

Helen,
Looks as if it was well worth the blustery walk to enjoy seeing the sweet little snow drops. Love the heart strings quilt you are working on. Scrappy quilts are some of my favorites, especially those with hearts. As always I am amazed by your perfect hand stitching.
As I said in my email to you, I was so pleasantly surprised when I received the giveaway gift last Friday. All the goodies you sent were so sweet and from your very own "stash". The best is the heart appliqued pincushion handmade by my favorite crafting artist.
Thank you so much.
Mickie Indiana, USA

faith76 said...

Your heart quilt looks beautiful as do the snowdrops xx

Jacky H said...

Your heart quilt is delightful.
I must make some hearts to hang in my craftroom. I love your photos of those delicate snowdrops.

Elderberry-Rob said...

Delightful

lory said...

la trapunta è meravigliosa, complimenti!!!!! Un abbraccio lory

Lorrie said...

Your scrappy heart quilt is very pretty and cheering in this month of cold and hearts. I never knew there were so many varieties of snowdrops until I went looking to see what kind were growing in my garden. Amazing!
Drinking tea and sewing are great activities for cold days.

Cindy said...

Love the heart quilt! i am loving blues, pinks and red right now so this is something I might do. And those snowdrops are so pretty! You are a little ahead of us here in Indiana as we have had freezing rain and no sign of leaves coming up yet. Soon though!

Teresa Kasner said...

I'm very impressed with your heart-y quilt! I have a "thing" for hearts. And wow.. all those Snowdrops! I should ask my grandson to pick me a little bouquet of some of ours. We have quite the big patch of them. I lost my Daphne bush in a deck building tragedy. I need a new one! Have a wonderful week! ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

Little Quiltsong said...

Your heart quilt is so pretty! Love all the background fabrics you used. The field of snowdrops is just beautiful. Not sure if we have those here - our winters are just too long :)!

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

Lovely hearts and snowdrops!

Pat's Patch said...

Your heartstrings quilt is gorgeous, love that you have so many different heart fabrics; such pretty swathes of snowdrops, and yes plenty of warm drinks this cold weather. I also have been sewing hearts, lately I've found a renewed passion for your cross stitch hearts. Happy Valentine's Helen XOX

Cream Linen said...

HAPPY VALENTINE'S Helen!!
The quilt is really pretty and I love snowdrops!!
Tina x

Elderberry-Rob said...

Your quilt is beautiful, every one you create is different but has that same lovelly crisp white in their making all the colours zing. I love snowdrops, maybe I will follow your example and visit some gardens where they have plenty :)