Monday 25 September 2017

Autumn Brights

 Hello again....we have some nice bright colours here today..........i've been busy with this work in progress (as well as several other works in progress too) and here is the hexie star quilt beginning to have the blocks sewn together....
 ................i love making the scrappy diamonds and then joining them into stars using english paper piecing............the stars are then turned into hexies using kona solids in lots of bright colours....
 ..........it's a nice on going project and easy to complete a block quite quickly.....
 ..........as you can see i am also adding an applique circle in the centre of the stars..........
 ..........this month i am tackling a lot of my works in progress and really hoping to get more things finished...........the next thing on the list was this flowery v stitch crochet blanket which has been waiting a while now in it's pink bag for me to get the hook out again and finish it off......
 ............well, i did finish the main part of the blanket last week........
 ..........so now there are just the million ends to sew in and then i can add a border......
 .............more about this one soon hopefully :) ...........below are some rosehips and japanese anemones from the garden in the strawberry susie watson jug..........
 ...............i love autumn and all the colours and fruits......we have had some wonderful sunny days and blue skies and i even like the grey days when the trees and leaves look quite vivid in the gloomy light..........
 ............we have had apples from the garden and plums from a friend and i've made lots of crumbles to put in the freezer...........we love our weekend walks and a bit of blackberry picking too...
 ..............here is a smaller star hexie made into a pincushion......i do love this shape and i love a bit of hand sewing on cosy autumn evenings.........
................thank you for visiting me here lovely readers and for the kind comments you take the time to leave........wishing you a wonderful week with happy times and plenty of crafty inspiration..........back soon xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

24 comments:

Pom Pom said...

Lots of pretty here today, Helen!
Your piecing is always fresh and lovely.
I do think your crocheted blanket is picture perfect.

greenrabbitdesigns said...

Your quilt is amazing Helen....I think you get through your WIP's quite quickly actually. :) Beautiful crochet blanket too, I'm looking forward to seeing which border you finish it with!
And what a delicious looking apple....yum!
Happy new week Helen,
V x

KC'sCourt! said...

Love that hexagon Star quilt

Julie xxxxxxxx

Carole Williamson said...

A gorgeous blog post as always Helen. I love the colours in your V-stitch blanket, they look so fresh and I look forward to seeing your border. Hope you have a good week & take care.
Love Carole Willamson xxx from Rossendale

Betty said...

I love the pretty bright colors, so cheerful.

Elizabethd said...

The colours you use are so pretty. I do wonder how you find the time to do all that you do!

Joan said...

Your scrappy hexie quilt is gorgeous. Such pretty fabrics!

Kate said...

I love that blanket, Helen!

Cream Linen said...

I wish i knew - and had the patience- to make a quilt! Well done to you Helen! Have a lovely week.

Mickie said...

Helen,
What a sweet starry quilt. Love the way the Kona solids become tumbling blocks around the stars. I admire all your EPP projects, such intense cutting and stitching. I would love to have the patience to make a quilt like this. Beautiful! I recently finished sewing in a "million" ends on a multicolor blanket, so glad when that task was finished. Love your flowery v stitch blanket, such sweet colors.
Thank you for sharing.
Mickie, Indiana USA

Jacky H said...

What a pretty read. You colours are always glorious. I love to see your crotchet. It give me so many ideas. I love autumn the colours speak for themselves.

bj said...

Your talent in the choice of colors just takes my breath away....xoxo

Thimbleanna said...

You always have such beautiful eye-candy here Helen! I LOVE your stars -- it's going to be such a bright, happy quilt. Looks like you wear fall well!!!

Jennifer Hays said...

Those star blocks are so interesting! I love them. And your v-stitch blanket is so delicate and feminine. Just lovely.

Jan Edge said...

So lovely, and so inspirational xx

Teresa Kasner said...

It's fun to see your colorful quilt blocks and the crocheted blanket too. I wonder who will be the happy recipient of that candy colored blanket? A granddaughter, perhaps? Anyone would love it. I'm working on a baby blanket with similar colors but it's variegated so no ends to sew in. Enjoy your Autumn. ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

Gracie Saylor said...

Dear Helen, it is a treat to visit you here! Not only do I admire your use of color, but also design. Today my eyes are having fun admiring the pretty flowers and cubes in your latest quilt. After two months of traveling, today I enjoyed visiting your posts I missed. I'm so glad you have had good times with your family, gardening and crafting. Thanks for the links to lovely fabrics and projects. Your flowers are gorgeous! I grew some Sweet Peas and Hollyhocks this year, too, and so enjoyed them. Wishing you a happy week!

Lorrie said...

Things are bright and pretty here today. The applique circles in the midst of the pieced blocks are a perfect little finishing touch.
You'll enjoy those apple crumbles come winter. I have a few in the freezer here, too. Happy Autumn Days to you.

crazydazy said...

I love the appliqued circle in the middle of the stars. Looking to see what border you crochet on you blanket.

Blondie's Journal said...

Your quilt blocks are bright and beautiful, Helen. You are so versatile without straying from your true love and style. The crochet blanket is so very sweet, I can imagine the warmth as it sits on your lap in the colder months - finishing it for yourself or a loved one.

Sending a big hug from across the pond,

Jane x

Sam I Am...... said...

Such a pretty quilt and it is like an optical illusion as I can see squares in there too...like children's colored blocks set on end. I like the addition of an applique center too and the pincushion is so precious and would make a nice gift too. Your flowers and vases are always so pretty and how fortunate your are to get fruits and berries fresh from your garden and walks. I love the crocheted blanket and I don't think I've ever seen that stitch before but I really like it! Have a great week and enjoy your Fall....I'm waiting for a 'cool down' here as it is still very warm! Take care! Hugs ~ Sam
P.S. I was able to get the Homespun magazine on my Kindle for a reasonable price and so happy as I have always loved that magazine! I can't wait to see you in there but haven't had time yet to browse it! I have always loved your bunnies! I told people about it on my blog too so trying to get the word out! LOL!

Teje Karjalainen said...

Beautiful post Helen! I love this pattern for the diamonds! x Teje

Jo said...

Love that star template. In my early stages of quilting I forget to use solid colours but this is inspirational. jo x

Let's Get Sewing said...

Beautiful colours! I love the EPP