Sunday 18 June 2017

Summer Sewing

 Happy new week everyone..........it is hot and sunny here at the moment and summer has really arrived..........i have been sewing some small things over the past week..... some are for magazine commissions for future publication so have to be kept secret for now, but some i can show, like this new cushion made with lovely tilda circus fabrics.......
 ............i made two economy blocks with the red elephant print fussy cut for the centres.... and two scrappy nine patch blocks............
 ............they were joined together and two simple borders added, one red floral and one aqua stripes...
 ............i have had quite a crush on the reds and blues in this range but there are lots of lovely greens and teals to use too in other projects...........you can buy tilda fabrics from sew and so here.......and visit tilda's world here................
 ............i added a little applique star and a tilda button to the finished cushion...just love a bit of extra embellishment here and there......
 ............think i will just have to make a quilt with these fabrics...i love the look of them with spotty and striped prints too and can just visualise a nice textured quilt made with them......
 ........below is a little work in progress picture of the quilting being done.........i don't always quilt cushion fronts before making them up but i do love the vintage modern texture of these prints that quilting gives them.....

 ...........and some flowers to match....picked from the garden and arranged in my new little strawberry jug from susie watson............perfect for summer time.....
 ...........the roses are all blooming and the scent on these warm sunny days has been gorgeous.....i will do a rose post  here soon i think before the time of roses is over............
 ...............it is also coming up to strawberry time too...the little pot below was a plant i bought from the garden centre and put in the greenhouse while we were away to keep it from marauding snails and so my daughter would water it........it repaid me by producing delicious ripe sweet strawberries very quickly.....they may be early fruiting ones though as my daughter bought some of the same plants and put them in her veggie patch and has also had fruit already even outdoors..........(am so happy that both my girls are now interested in plants and gardens and growing herbs and produce!!)......
 ..............when i'd photographed the picture above i realised that i wanted to make a bigger heart quilt (the one above is a mini that i showed here a while ago).......so before i knew it i was pulling red fabrics from my stash and finding pale background fabrics for the blocks....and then i had another work in progress ;) .......that's my summer sewing for now.......more to show you soon......
..............thank you so much for dropping by to see me here lovely readers....and thank you so much to those who take the time to leave a comment....it is a pleasure to visit your blogs too and i hope to do more of that this coming week...........wishing you happy sunny days and lots of gorgeous crafty inspirations as the days unfold..................back soon xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

22 comments:

Jane said...

Hi Helen...phew what a scorcher today! I hope you have kept cool and enjoyed those yummy strawberries. It's so lovely when your children get interested too isn't it! How sweet is that elephant fabric and such lovely colours. Enjoy your new projects. Hugs xxx

Mylittlepieceofengland said...

Very hot here today too. Love the circus fabrics and how you've cut the elephant, so cute xx

greenrabbitdesigns said...

It has been such a beautiful day here too Helen! I even picked my first three strawberries from my patch this morning, they were sweet as honey!
I adore your new cushion and I'm looking forward to seeing your new heart quilt take shape, it amazes me how quickly you produce your lovely work.
I helped my daughter get her little window boxes ready this year....it is lovely when they take an interest.
Happy new week Helen,
V x

Kim said...

I'm in a pillow mood lately, Helen and this one is lovely.

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

Lovely photos
I love the appliqued star! That is a really neat touch that make the quilt playful and cheery. My sewing machine has been in use recently, and will be again this week. :)

Thank you Helen for the inspiration as always!

Kate said...

I love that elephant print! Enjoy your hot weather - we'd love to have some but it's been cool and wet here .... the tomatoes and zucchini have wet feet and are shivering (and so are we).:)

Little Quiltsong said...

Always love your bright posts!! Your flowers and quilts and cute strawberry plant make me smile!

Mickie said...

Helen,
As always, your patchwork pillow is another winner. Love those fabrics, especially the red print border. What a sweet little strawberry jug and the posy is so cute. I am inspired by all your creations, and have begun another quilt project along with more fabric to add to my collection.:) One can only hope to live long enough to use it all. LOL It is a good thing two of my daughters have a love of fabric as I do.
Thank you for sharing.
Mickie, Indiana USA

Marilyn McLeod @ Pink Paper Cottage said...

I love everything about today 's post! The vivid red hearts. The darling cushion with those blue srtipes, the roses and sweet strawberry plant....Sorry for the typos as an typing on my new tablet! Has been hot here in Ordgon too.

KC'sCourt! said...

Gorgeous summery colours.

Julie xxxxxx

marmarel said...

Your pillow is só lovely!! Lovely colors and pics!
Greetings from Marijke

Jo said...

A gorgeous cushion. We have strawberries coming out of our ears too! Jo x

Jennifer Hays said...

Hi Helen, I'm just catching up with your blog. The cottages in Sussex are so beautiful. I especially loved seeing the one with all the poppies. I love your new elephant fabrics. They're such a nice surprise with the traditional calico fabrics in your quilting. It reminds me of a summer quilt set that I have; the piecing is basic postage stamp-type squares, but the fabrics all have a sort of Indian or Asian feel to them. It's very exotic. I think I bought it in a TJ Maxx about 15 years ago and have used the quilt to death, bringing it on picnics and park trips quite often. I hope you're having a good week so far.

Vanessa said...

Love seeing all your photos...you always have such beautiful photos! Seems like you may be a tad cooler where you are...we are already in the mid 90's here is Dallas, Texas!! Whew...summer is here for sure!!

Vanessa said...

Oops...I messed up my link! �� I'd love for you to stop by and see my new sewing blog. Yours has been such a fun inspiration to subscribe to! I'm not sure my photos will ever be on your same level though!!����

Gracie Saylor said...

I love glimpses of your beautiful current makes and continue to be inspired to try more of your patterns. How lovely to have strawberries! I have some blossoms on my tomato plant and my daughter has some strawberries ripening on her plants. Happy week! xx

handmade by amalia said...

This calm and cool palette is perfect for hot summer days.
Amalia
xo

Teresa Kasner said...

I always enjoy seeing what lovely things you are making.. I love the pink and red. It's funny but my mom always told me you can't wear pink and red.. little did she know we break all those rules now! My favorite photo was the one of the little strawberry plant and berries in a clay pot.. simply divine! Enjoy your hot weather! ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

Jacky H said...

Hi Helen i love your cushion I've never done a nine patch before it works really well. The strawberry plant in its lovely little plant pot is so typical English summer.
Have a lovey week Helen.

Simone said...

Your garden flowers match your patchwork so beautifully! x

cristina said...

Hi, Helen! It's a pleasure for me visit your lovely blog! I love your new red cushion made with scraps and I love to know that your girls loves the plants! love your world and love your works! a big hug and kisses from catalonia! see you soon!

Art and Sand said...

I have to say that my summer sewing hasn't been as colorful as yours. But, I did manage a cute little blue and white baby quilt for our grandson who should arrive any day now.