Monday 26 June 2017

Romantic Roses

 Today we are having a little rosy celebration....beginning with a picture of the glorious roses at sissinghurst castle garden which we visited earlier this month when on our trip to east sussex.......a little sign outside the plant shop there said that vita loved the 'incomparable lavishness' of old fashioned roses...and we do too............all the pictures below are roses from our own garden.....
 ............most of the roses here were planted by the previous owners who were very keen and knowledgeable gardeners....for years after we lived here we would discover plant tags amongst the greenery saying 'great dixter' or 'sissinghurst' or 'hidcote'  and we have treasured all the plants as well as we can though we don't know many of their names.......all the roses are beautiful and scented too.......
 ..............i have always loved this bright candy pink rose for it's colour and dog rose shape...
 ................it grows in the more wild part of the garden and i usually take pictures of the view of the potting shed through it each year :).....
 ..............once picked these flowers don't last long but there are plenty of them so i keep trying....
 .............and i put them in all kinds of different containers.............below there are roses inside and roses outside, growing above the garden door.......
 ..............rosy pink cushions....one made by me with lovely lakehouse fabric and the tiny applique hearts one was made for me years ago by my lovely sister...it's one of my favourite things.....
 .............little creamy roses in glass numbered bottles along with some of my mum's vintage cotton reels on my work table............
 ............below is a view from our garden, through the roses, of the sea......
 .............and below a blue sky with cotton wool clouds makes a lovely background for a big bough of pale pink roses............
 ............i love roses so much i called my dear younger daughter after them :)..........
 .................just put roses in any container and they look beautiful.....the ones above were in my studio and scented the room for a few days...........and below i mixed some roses with sweet william and cornflowers for a vibrant contrast as well as delicious scent...........today i did some gardening and when i came in the internet wasn't working so i am a bit late this week writing my blog.....
..............thank you to everyone who drops by here to see me in my bit of blogland, and thank you so much to everyone who leaves me a sweet comment too.............i hope you have a happy week ahead and enjoy sunshine and flowers as well as some crafty inspirations........back soon xxxxxxxxxxxx

37 comments:

Susan Freeman said...

Such pretty roses and photos too. It's gray and we have heavy rain all day, so your pics are giving me the spot of color I need!

Love,
Susan and Bentley

Jacky H said...

Thank you for sharing your lovely flowers with us.

Miss Merry said...

Your roses are so beautiful! What a wonderful place to live!

Lily said...

for scenting one can use lavender and such. but garden flowers and wild ones are happier unpicked, admired from the window.... vases are cruel places for them

Linda @ Itsy Bits And Pieces said...

Pure prettiness, Helen...beautiful roses!

Anonymous said...

What a lovely bit of beauty in my inbox is your post each Monday! It's my least favorite day because I'm tethered to my desk, but how it gets brighter when I see your name pop up -- I know that bright color awaits! Thank you for allowing us to see into your home and garden and landscape. It seems perfect -- or very nearly so!

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

Beautiful roses. The bachelor's buttons and rose bouquet go really well together.

Mylittlepieceofengland said...

I love roses too, it must be lovely to have so many established ones. Your house and garden must smell divine xx

greenrabbitdesigns said...

beautiful post Helen...all your roses are so pretty and that view from your garden is amazing!!
The roses in your garden certainly have a wonderful provenance!
I too have some like the little dog roses, they are so beautiful.
Have a lovely week,
V x

Gracie Saylor said...

I can almost smell your beautiful roses, and, certainly enjoy viewing them and the ones you saw at Sissinghust. It is also lovely to see some of your beautiful makes and the pretty cushion your sister made for you. May your week continue to be rosy! xxxxxx

Kate said...

Helen, your roses are beautiful! My Gran always grew sweet william and cornflowers and I'm always reminded of her when I see them. I grow cornflowers at the cabin every summer. :)

Anonymous said...

Spectacular England roses..romantic always...Much thanks for sharing...Have a wonderful few days in June.

Teresa Kasner said...

I loved all your roses, Helen. Is that view of the sea from your home? If so, you are so lucky to live that near the sea!! I love that you named your beloved daughter Rose. I need to cut some of my roses and make a bouquet for the house. ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

Blondie's Journal said...

The roses at the castle are only rivaled by yours! Such a pretty garden and array of roses. I'd love to see more of your shed...is it amazing inside?

I was wondering about the pretty blue flowers...coneflower. I have to see if we can we grow it in the Midwest.

Wonderful post, Helen. We thank YOU!

Jane x

Amy at love made my home said...

Lovely to catch up with you and to see the beautiful roses too!

KC'sCourt! said...

I love Dog-Roses they are so delicate.

Julie xxxx

Marianne said...

Gorgeous roses! My Dutch garden is not the best spot for roses but I can't help myself and I keep trying!

Christine B said...

I love roses too Helen and your beautiful garden is such a delight! Enjoy those that you have brought indoors! Have a lovely week! Christine x

Cream Linen said...

I love roses and I have some rose bushes in my little garden.It's so nice to have them indoors ,too,they give warmth and beauty to any room.Thank you for the pretty pictures you are sharing with us!! Have a good week.Tina xxx

Cream Linen said...

I love roses and I have some rose bushes in my little garden.It's so nice to have them indoors ,too,they give warmth and beauty to any room.Thank you for the pretty pictures you are sharing with us!! Have a good week.Tina xxx

Little Quiltsong said...

Lovely, lovely roses! Sweet William's are a favorite of mine. Love your pillows - so sweet! Thank you for the tour Helen - it was beautiful!

Karen said...

All things so lovely!

Karen in NC

Sam I Am...... said...

I truly think you live in paradise! The sea, the flowers, the smells, the sky...it's just so unbelievably lovely! Thank you for sharing it with us.
I have the craft bug right now. I am hoping this will be a year of lots of finishes and a few starts. I'm doing a little cross stitching and some quilting...finally! Enjoy your little piece of paradise!

Marta said...

Graziose le rose in tutte le foto con i tuoi capolavori di cucito.

Rhona said...

Such pretty roses.....they always make me smile.

Pom Pom said...

The roses are so pretty! I love the views, too! Isn't pink peaceful? We all need more pink!

cristina said...

Helen! Your garden is such beautiful! I love too roses .... thanks for sharing with us all this little world .... I wish you a happy summer!

Jennifer Hays said...

Your roses are so pretty, Helen. Isn't it nice to follow people who gardened well? Our yard is much nicer because of the previous owners than it would be if we had to do it ourselves. I have three rosebushes, a large one and two minis. All have red flowers and I wish there was one with yellow or pink, but I'll take what I can get because I love having roses. That reminds me, I need to bring some inside for a kitchen bouquet tomorrow. I hope you're having a good week so far!

♥ Mary Janes TEAROOM said...

Beautiful post Helen...your garden must be looking so lovely at the moment (I'm sure it's quite happy to have some rain too after the hot weather)...how interesting that some of your roses have such a history...it makes them even more special x
Susan x

Lorrie said...

Your roses are beautiful, Helen. I thoroughly enjoyed this post. Roses grow in my garden, too, and are at their peak just now. I don't know all the varieties, but I love scented roses in pinks and whites.
Now that school is finished I hope to get back into my sewing room. Have a wonderful week.

Ana Love Craft said...

Such a beautiful garden you have, dear Helen! All roses are so delicate and gorgeous. I love roses so much. Thanks so much for sharing this lovely post.
Hope you’re having a great week!
Hugs and love from Portugal,
Ana

Elderberry-Rob said...

isn't pink just the most important colour in Summer! it conjures up thoughts of pimms, strawberries and cream and pink gingham dresses! Your roses must smell beautiful.

my4lilgirls said...

Your roses are just beautiful Helen. Growing up my neighbours garden was a paradise of roses, I used to sit on the grass behind his wall just to smell them. Remembering that while reading your post 😊😊😊

my4lilgirls said...

Your roses are just beautiful Helen. Growing up my neighbours garden was a paradise of roses, I used to sit on the grass behind his wall just to smell them. Remembering that while reading your post 😊😊😊

Simone said...

Roses are definitely one of my top flowers. Roses remind me of my Granddad. How lucky that the previous owners planted so many varieties in your garden. It must be wonderful discovering them all as they come into bloom. x

Susan Freeman said...

You find the sweetest fabrics!

Love,
Susan and Bentley

Candy said...

I love your rosey photos!