Monday 5 August 2019

Quilts and Gardens

 Happy new week lovely readers...and happy august too....it's been a busy week for me with lots going on...above is one of my 'quilts in the garden pictures' with my flower market quilt.....it has cherries appliqued on it and so has my new little quilt below.....
 .........this is actually called the little cherries quilt and is the third in my series...little apples is already in my etsy shop and little plums is finished and nearly written up.....
 .............i used lots of tilda scraps in this quilt combined with a beautiful soft and subtle lecien fabric...a very peaceful project with lots of hand stitching which i did in the garden.....
 ............we had a very inspiring day at the amazing festival of quilts at the nec, birmingham....it has been described as the ultimate patchwork and quilting experience...and that is so true.....there are quilt galleries filled with historic and modern quilts, stunning competition quilts and art quilts....and there are shops filled with gorgeous fabrics and notions, patterns and kits......and there are workshops and demos and wonderful designers from all over the world to meet..............
............this little historic quilt is the bloomfield coverlet 1850 now in the quilters guild collection....it is pieced and appliqued in a beautiful and unusual way and has cross stitched quotes in squares which really appealed to me......this quilt inspired a series of new quilts by members of the quilter's guild which were also on display.....beautiful and so inspiring............
 ...........one day last week was world embroidery day so i had to photograph some of mine....above is an applique and embroidered flower pot which will be part of a new project....and below is one of my red and white samplers stitched years ago on a holiday in france......
 ............i designed the sampler, printed the chart and packed the linen, needle and thread so i had my own kit and stitched lots of happy holiday memories into it......this one has never been published so i might make it into a chart for my etsy shop soon...........
 ...........the cottage garden is frothy with cosmos at the moment..........
 ...........i picked all the sweetpeas last week and now a new crop has grown...love how sweetpeas do that ....
 .........this has become a hot border............the heleniums love it here...........
 .............and here is the flower market quilt in the garden again on my lovely white picket fence..... still enjoy having this little fence and gate that hubby put up for me last autumn.....and i'm sure i always will...so much potential to hang little signs on and style up with quilts and flowers.....
...........thank you for dropping by to see me here dear readers and for the kind comments you leave...it's so lovely to hear from you.....next week i'll be taking a blog break as i'll be away on the sunny isle of angelsey...........you can still find me on instagram or see you back here after my trip.....wishing you happy times and sunshine till then.......xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

13 comments:

butterfly said...

Another beautiful post .
Lovely stitching ,everything is so pretty .
Have a lovely holiday ,we use to fly to Ronald's Airport allot to see friends a few years back we loved it there and going over the fairy bridge.
Enjoy your week .

greenrabbitdesigns said...

I do love your little fruity quilts Helen ... such pretty fabrics in your cherry version! 🍒
Aren't sweet peas the gift that keeps on giving! Your heleniums are gorgeous, they're a flower I've never had in my garden, I think I need to rectify that, important that you have your namesakes in your garden though. :)
The Festival of Quilts looked amazing, so much inspiration.
Have a lovely new week and a wonderful relaxing trip to Anglesey my friend,
V x

busybusybeejay said...

Enjoy Anglesey.Just about an hour from here.I think our favourite place is Beaumaris and a visit to the Janet Bell shop.Last time we were on Anglesey we ate at a super hotel/ restaurant in Rhosneigr.( left at the crossroads and on the right after about 50 yards).Barbarax

Devon said...

Such happy and pretty pictures for a Monday ☺️

Marilyn McLeod @ Pink Paper Cottage said...

Your fruit quilts are so pretty Helen! I always so enjoy your blog posts - so so much! I too love that white picket fence. I love hanging little doo dads and signs on our wood fence. How fun that quilt market must have been. I've been to a few here in Oregon, but the shops and vendor booths draw my eye just as much! Take care and have a wonderful little trip next week. Marilyn

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

Lovely garden and quilts. The movement if the 1850 quilt is charming, and eye catching.

Linda said...

Oh, how beautiful! Thank you!

Little Quiltsong said...

Your post is just so full of lovely items again. Love seeing your flowers and pretty quilts. So many lovely quilts showcased at Birmingham. Beautiful embroidery - I especially love when fabric and embroidery meet in the same project. Enjoy your upcoming holiday!

Rosemary B❤️ said...

As always Helen, your photos are beautiful
I so very much enjoy reading your blog and seeing your latest creations
Enjoy your day today

Rhona said...

Another wonderful post filled with flowers and crafting.....perfect!

Teresa Kasner said...

So many pretty projects, I love the cherry quilt! Your garden is looking so pretty and summery. I can't believe it will be over so soon. Enjoy it while it lasts.
((hugs)), Teresa :-)

Jacky H said...

How pretty everything looks.
The colours really say summer . I went to the festival of Quilts u thought it was the best one yet I came back with loads of lovely goodies.
Have a lovely break Helen.

Sam I Am...... said...

Oh, I have missed your lovely "makes" and I adore the cherry quilt. I need to find somewhere to buy Tilda fabrics here in the U.S. I did not know you had an Etsy shop and I will be ordering soon! The Dala horse pattern for sure as my daughter has a collection. Also, I need to go follow you on IG! I have fallen behind but will be catching up soon I hope. "Making" and handwork has been a soothing activity for me and looking at your posts. Thank you for your kind comment on my blog too. Enjoy your holiday!