Monday 19 November 2018

Keeping Cosy

 Hello dear readers.....this week we are having the painters and decorators in so our house is in a state of organised chaos at the moment............. i am still taking pictures though, around the 'stuff' all over the place...my husband moved lots of things with me at the weekend as well as putting up new shelves in the kitchen X X X...........(pictures to come soon)........
 .............the maileg goose and pixie are keeping me company while i move stuff about........the quilt here is my dimity quilt  made a few years ago in a scrappy vintage style and backed with beautiful tilda fabric............
 ............everything on the shelves is squashing up to accommodate a few more bits and pieces....the cross stitch sampler is one i designed and stitched a long time ago.....i sewed the tiny bunny from the small version of my sugar bunny pattern in my book *pretty patchwork gifts* ......the dog is by northfield primitives and the pixie boy is by maileg.............
 ..............moving books from one room to another.............most of our books are kept upstairs in the book room but my persephone collection has its own special bookshelves..........
 ...........i found this little vintage heart while i was dismantling the studio..........
 ..............here is one of the nicer views of the stuff here............my ironing board in the background, a chair piled with quilts and a small bucket of flowers.....as long as there are flowers around i will be happy............
 .............not much time for sewing today....'the men' were here this morning fixing one of the sash windows, putting in new cords and glass where it had cracked.......it was very cold with no window in for a while and the doors wide open too......tomorrow the actual decorating begins and i will be in my sewing room downstairs i think, just emerging to make all those mugs of tea.....
 ...........i did finish this cosy star cushion made from beautiful true blues feedsacks fabric by linzee kull mccray.........the fabrics are from moda, and the red squares are a bonnie and camille print also from moda.......
 ...............books, quilts, cushions, cups of tea, sewing, radio 4...........keeping me cosy through this week of disruption hopefully.............
 ..............not much colour left in the garden now but still some bright berries.........
 ...........and getting things ready for some christmas baking too.....i collect my two older grandchildren from school three afternoons each week at the moment and we walk home through the crunchy autumn leaves for afternoon tea at my house............
.............thank you for dropping by to see me here dear readers and for your kind comments......wishing you a wonderful week ahead and lots of happy crafty cosy times......back soon xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

11 comments:

greenrabbitdesigns said...

Oh Helen you still managed a beautiful blog post despite the 'organised chaos' ... I love that your chaos is organised, I'm not sure mine is!! :) My decorator is painting the hall, stairs and landing at the moment so moving from room to room is difficult, at least I can get to the kettle! ;)
Gorgeous quilts as always and I love your pretty new cushion!
I hope your week is calm!
V x

Mickie said...

Helen,
Oh my goodness, you are a busy, crafty lady! Beautiful pictures of all your sweet makes and collectibles. I would love to be as organized as you while having "workmen" in the house. Having a bucket of flowers and a pile of quilts helps to keep the spirit up. Love each and every photo.
Thank you for sharing.
Mikcie, Indiana USA

Elizabethd said...

Even your ironing board is pretty!

Teresa Kasner said...

I think you're doing a brilliant job of keeping your sanity and beautiful home together while painting chaos happens around you! I loved the image of you walking your darling grandchildren home through the autumn leaves for a warm and cozy tea together. ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

Marilyn McLeod @ Pink Paper Cottage said...

I agree... your organized chaos still looks wonderful and pretty! How you mange it I don't know! I love the little heart you found.. how sweet. Every time I see one of your hearts, I want to make one too (but I never do). Hubby and I need an entire wall of shelves in our living room for our books... we love books.. they are our friends and the poor thinks are stuffed hither and yond..... I hope to one day have a wall of book shelves! Your quilts are so pretty and happy and I agree, even your ironing board is gorgeous! I too love the image of walking your grands home from school, crunching the leaves and coming home to a warm cozy house for tea and cookies. Brings back memories of my younger years of walking home from school along sidewalks covered 6" deep with crisp leaves! Have a nice week and hope the chaos doesn't last too long! xoxo Marilyn

Janet Taber said...

Your blog posts always make me feel cosy, even if my life doesn't particularly reflect coziness at the moment. :) I am curious about the Persephone books. Are they the ones by Dorothy Whipple? I haven't read them but have been tempted and am always on the lookout for a good series.

Jo said...

Busy busy. You have still managed to make everything look serene - amazing! Jo xx

handmade by amalia said...

It is always so messy having workmen in the house, but how wonderful when they leave and you have everything bright and fresh. Love that photo of the duck with all the books, I can tell he is a reader.
Amalia
xo

Anonymous said...

I’ve always drawn such joy reading your posts and sharing my love of simple beauty with you. My home was much like yours pictured. We are currently displaced by the horrific fire that decimated our town and home of 31 years—Paradise, California , USA. We lost everything we had collected and created over 45 years of marriage, where we raised our children, participated in growing a strong community.
I’d like to ask my fellow readers to pray for all of those who made it out alive. The grief is overwhelming, so many of our neighbors died in this firestorm.
We hold our material things loosely, as scripture instructs us to. It is still hard to be without the comfort and joy of being surrounded by those we love and care about, we are all scattered across the country now.
Please keep us in prayer. I will look to the beautiful images you continue to share to gain inspiration for my first quilt I hope to make when life calms down. 💕
Claudia Chapman, formerly of Paradise, California

Lorrie said...

Afternoon tea with your grandchildren a few days each week sounds like a delight. I hope the decorating week goes well and everything turns out. Happy week to you, Helen.

Gracie Saylor said...

Sweet loveliness as you prepare for the disruption ahead... ! xx