Monday 15 October 2018

Shining Stars Quilt

 Happy new week dear readers......this week i am showing you this bright starry quilt which has been finished for a little while but waiting for its big reveal moment.....i showed you some of the making of this quilt last year when i began sewing scrappy english paper pieced diamonds together....
 ..............the bright colours of the scraps inspired me to use bright kona cotton to join the resulting stars to form hexagons...........
 ............and i added a little appliqued circle to the centre of each star, partly to differentiate from all the whirling and swirling diamond shapes..........there are some secondary patterns happening here too, like the tumbling blocks.........
 ..............it was backed with a beautiful liberty floral fabric in a contrasting deep blue..........
 .............and longarm quilted for me by the talented debbie holland in a wonderful star pattern....
 ..............the quilt was originally inspired by the star quilt in my book *modern vintage gifts* and it uses the same templates.....changing the joining pieces from hexagons to diamonds and making it bright and scrappy gives a whole different look..........
 ..........lots of different fabrics went into this quilt......i even chopped up some charm packs i'd been hoarding for ages...
 ..............i think the grandchildren will enjoy snuggling under this one now the autumn days have arrived.....

 ..........last week i worked on a new quilt for autumn and look forward to showing some of that soon too......also cross stitching and embroidering...and loving the floral snippets from the garden.....mr p is now working on the little paths in our cottage garden......hope to bring you a pretty update very soon :)..........
 ............colourful window sill at the weekend when it was so grey and rainy we needed our flowers and bright quilts so much......
 .............today is much brighter and the cough and cold i suffered from all last week has almost gone............our littlest grandson turned one last week and was such a happy little chap enjoying his birthday.....i really think he is the most beaming baby ever xxx
...............thank you for visiting me here lovely readers....it is such a pleasure to hear from you too and to read your sweet comments..........wishing you a wonderful week ahead with sunshine and happy crafty times.........back soon xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

16 comments:

KC'sCourt! said...

WOW! what a gorgeous quilt - love it!

Julie xxxxxx

Jane said...

Hi Helen, your star quilt turned out so well. What a beauty it is and perfect to cheer up the dull days which are ahead. How quickly has the year flown by...your little grandson sound a total sweetie. Take care, hugs xxx

greenrabbitdesigns said...

Stunning Helen!!! It's a geometric delight so much to see in it!
Looking forward to seeing more of your cottage garden progress. :)
happy birthday to your little grandson, glad he had a lovely day, I can't believe its a year since you told us about his birth!
have a lovely new week,
V x

busybusybeejay said...

What a beautiful quilt.Can I spot some Janet Bell prints in the background?Barbara

Jacky H said...

Stunning Quilt makes me want to do another. Not until I've finished my hexagon insanity quilt which is one inch hexagon.
I can't recomended more highly your book as a good source of inspiration.
I've done most projects in it.

Mickie said...

Helen,
So glad to see the finished starry quilt, such a happy quilt. Just the thing for wee ones to snuggle under. As I have mentioned before, your EPP projects make me so envious:). I love the many prints you used, and I also use Kona cotton solids in my quilts, mostly the white.
Your Modern Vintage Gifts book has so many inspiring projects. I am trying to take advantage of the cold, gloomy days we are having to catch up on WIPs. I must admit I have some very good books that keep calling my name, so I am torn between the two loves.
Thank you for sharing again.
Mickie, Indiana USA

Christine B said...

Such a beautiful quilt Helen! Love all the bright jewel-like colours! Glad to hear you are getting over your cough and cold. So many people have had colds recently.... I guess it is that time of year! Christine xx

Lorrie said...

Hello Helen,
I'm glad you are feeling better. Your new quilt is so pretty and what a different look you achieved by using the bright colours as background. I always enjoy my visits to your pretty world.

Linda @ Itsy Bits And Pieces said...

Oh it's a beauty! Wonderful, Helen!

Anonymous said...

Love your beautiful vibrant colored quilt and the pumpkin with the sweet little dog. Have a blessed week.


Erika

Teresa Kasner said...

Dear Helen, that quilt if a masterpiece! The colors just make me so happy. I can envision your grandbabies catching a nap wrapped in that beautiful blanket. Sorry you were ill, but glad you're nearly recovered. Have a wonderful week! ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

bj said...

Your quilts are works of art...and I so love your bright colors.

Jo said...

A wonderful quilt Helen, so bright and colourful. Jo x

Thimbleanna said...

Oh Wow Helen -- Beautiful as always! So much work goes into stitching all those little diamonds together and it's so fun to see how changing those setting pieces can make such a big difference! Thank you for the inspiration -- as always!!!

handmade by amalia said...

Another brilliant quilt, Helen. Your makes are always so bright and beautiful.
Amalia
xo

Gracie Saylor said...

Oh, I missed this lovely shining star quilt last week! Thanks so much for sharing it, Helen.