Monday 16 July 2018

In My Garden

 We finally have rain here and the garden is enjoying a nice long drink after the drought......
 ............today is cool and grey after weeks of bright blue skies and sunshine.....i decided it was time to gather together some of the garden photos i've been taking recently and put them into a post....
 ...........the roses didn't last nearly as long this year, flopping quickly after flowering and dropping their petals in a shower of confetti...........still beautiful though short lived......
 ...........we did some watering but can't water everywhere in this garden......the bees and butterflies are fluttering about in abundance........
 ............today would have been my sweet mum's birthday......above is the white punch bowl she gave me, filled with garden flowers and below is one of the doves that came from her garden......
 ............i have tidied out the potting shed (such hot work) and chased out all the spiders for now...
 ............sorting things out and decluttering is back on my agenda...we are going to have some decorating done soon and i need to move stuff about and get rid of some things.....
 ...............i love pottering in the garden on the balmy evenings we've been enjoying.....
 ..............my plants always surprise me and some pop up unexpectedly while others disappear completely......our garden never sticks to the plan but we enjoy it anyway....
 ..........de cluttering a cupboard last week i found all these birdhouses so hung them up in the eleagnus tree.........not sure if i 'need' these or not, if they will be useful as props...or if they 'spark joy'...de cluttering is sooo hard............
 ...............gardening is very tiring in the heat so we haven't done a lot of weeding lately....
 ............love these pretty daisies which i bought on a visit to cholmondely castle a couple of years ago....there they were self seeding down some pretty steps and i've been waiting for my plant to do that here...this year they have just begun to spread.....
..............tumbling roses, and a tilda tumbler cushion on the gothic bench.........can you see how parched and crispy the grass looks?..........we've had such a heatwave.......not sure if it's coming back but for now a cooler day and plenty of rain is refreshing us all.............

............thank you for visiting me here dear readers and for leaving me such kind comments......wishing you a happy week ahead whatever the weather where you are ...................back soon xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

15 comments:

greenrabbitdesigns said...

You obviously have got our weather from yesterday...sadly the pots and planters are so full the rain couldn't get in and it does destroy pretty petals, to be honest I'd prefer if it stayed away and we can use a watering can!
I definitely think you 'need' those pretty bird boxes! ;)
Your garden is looking so pretty and I love your mum's little dove.
Happy new week Helen,
V x

Jacky H said...

Your garden looks beautiful.
Everything is such an effort when its hot. We had really heavy rain. It like magic the grass turned back to green over night isn't mother nature wonderful.

Mickie said...

Helen,
I love seeing pictures of your garden, such an abundance of different colorful flowers. Your mother's sweet dove is enjoying her spot among the pansies. I have a cute frog that was my mother's watching over my lantana.
Getting rid of "stuff" is a never ending battle at my house. It seems the more I take out, more seems to gather about.
I pulled weeds for a short time this morning as it was getting very hot and humid. To me weeding is a satisfying job, and I do enjoy being outside when the weather is a little cooler. We really need a good soaking rain to bring green back to our grass.
I am thinking that you probably do "need" to keep the cute birdhouses.:)
Thank you for sharing.
Mickie Indiana USA

busybusybeejay said...

What a pretty garden and I love the bird houses.

Kate said...

Absolutely gorgeous, Helen!

Rhona said...

Your garden looks gorgeous....a little bit of heaven!

Teresa Kasner said...

OK.. now I know you got your love of white things naturally.. from your mum! Love the punchbowl filled with flowers and the bird in the garden! I think I need to get some white chalk paint for some of my garden sculptures! Your garden shed looks so neat with the bunting hung in there. My sister is a seamstress and made me one Christmas bunting and she promised to make me some more, I think I need a pastel one ala Helen! ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

KC'sCourt! said...

Your garden is so pretty

Julie xxxxxx

Thimbleanna said...

Your garden is so beautiful Helen! Good luck with the decluttering. I'm getting to the point where I look at some of the things we make and wonder why? And my sewing room is bursting at the seams -- what, oh what, to do with it all????

Christine B said...

What a beautiful post Helen! Love seeing photographs from your garden is it like a little piece of paradise! Christine x

Cream Linen said...

Lovely potting shed and flowers.The bird houses look so nice hanging from the tree branches,they give such a sweet and happy note to the garden.Keep them!

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

Beautiful photos, Helen
Rain here finally. The lawn was deep into tan, and some corn as well.
I hope the rains continue in reasonable amounts during the evening.

Marilyn McLeod @ Pink Paper Cottage said...

We could definitely use some rain here in central Oregon! Everything is so brown and crispy.. no matter how much I water. I LOVE you fox gloves.. used to have them growing wild when I lived in SW Washington state. Love the birdhouses in the tree.. you definitely NEED to keep them! Your garden shed is so dreamy... could imagine sitting there on a little bench among all the flowers. I have some daisies like yours but they aren't doing very well in the heat. There were so pretty when I brought them from the garden nursery! Have a good rest of the week.... Marilyn

Lee said...

Hello Helen,your garden is just Magical I love it.Those Bird Houses,what a good idea they look so pretty.Your Mums Punch Bowl and Dove look so Beautiful,sad but happy memories to cherish.My mum was 88 yesterday.I hope my garden will look as magical as yours one day.Hugs xxx

Elderberry-Rob said...

Your garden is delightful, I think the bird boxes are worth keeping, you could paper them or paint them and make a lovely feature of some.