Monday 16 January 2017

Flower Wreath: A Quilt in Progress

 We have had such bleak and blustery days this past week......dreary and drizzly with very low light levels most of the day.....we missed out on the bright snowy days some parts of the uk had.......
 ............so it was wonderful to be able to play with bright fabrics and to make some more blocks for my work in progress......the flower wreath quilt...........some of you may remember this as i showed some of it last year when i began it.......each block features a simple circle with flowers and leaves appliqued using fusible web...........each block is different though as the arrangement varies slightly and the fabrics are different in each too......
 ................when the shapes have been ironed in place i sew round them with blanket stitch and matching embroidery thread........i love this type of applique and it is good to do while watching movies (or chatting) ............
 .............gradually each block is stitched and added to the growing pile......
 ............i often fit a project like this around others, especially (secret for now) work commitments and i stitch a little now and then while waiting for dinner to cook or a cake to bake.....
 ..............there are bulbs to enjoy here this week.....pretty hyacinths opening and scenting the room....
 ................these hyacinths have quite delicate flowers and are such a soft pink.....
 ..............below is my thread box, lots of dmc stranded cotton that i use for cross stitch and also for applique and other simple embroidery.............
 ................the flower wreath quilt was inspired by historic quilts and when the blocks are joined together i am planning a  floral twining border like many early quilts would have had.............
 ...............still a few more blocks to create first before that exciting moment though.....
 ...............and as i had a bunch of beautiful red and pink tulips to brighten my sewing room this week i thought i would show you the little tulip applique pillow too...........
 ..................this was made for a magazine quite a while ago and now is just the right time for it to be in use ........the tulips i planted in my tulip patch in the autumn are now just showing their green shoots above the ground but it will be quite a while before they are in flower..........
................thank you for visiting me here in my little bit of blog land, dear readers.......and thank you for all your lovely comments on my previous post, i so enjoyed reading them....you can still enter the tilda bumblebee giveaway on that post until sunday january 22................in the meantime i wish you all a wonderful week with plenty of happy crafty times.........back soon xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

38 comments:

Jacky H said...

Hi Helen your blogs are such a pleasure to read. I love the colours you use they are really cheery. Especially this time of year.
I think your storage for your embroidery silks is a very good idea I have mine in a box all mixed up
Your flower wreath are so sweet you can never have to many flowers in your life.
Have a lovely week.

greenrabbitdesigns said...

Ooooh that is going to be a stunning quilt Helen, I'm really looking forward to seeing it finished. :) As you say lovely to see the bright colours after such grey days.
Thank goodness for little bulbs at this time of year, I bought another pot at the weekend, I like to keep them coming. Great too to be able to buy tulips until they bloom in the garden.
Have a lovely week,
V x

Kate said...

Your quilt will be beautiful! It's so nice to see your hyacinths in bloom ... I think I can smell them. :)

Vicki said...

Helen, you are so inspiring!! I have wanted to applique for so many years but do not know what kind of fusable to use. What kind should I be looking for? Can you give any tips for beginners??

Vicki said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Vicki said...

I went back to the beginning of your blog and saw that you mentioned something called "bondaweb"....are you still using this? Or have you found something better?
Thanks!!

Unknown said...

Your new quilt is going to be so pretty. And to have pretty flowers this time of year, what a treat. Love the tulip pillow - I can tell your mind is on spring flowers ;)
Mary

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

Reading your blog, I don't think of dreary weather where you are. Its always sunny and full of flowers.

Frances said...

This flower bedecked quilt is a real charmer! I am very intrigued by the method you've used to accomplish the applique. Other commenters have already asked some my questions about the method. Am I correct in thinking that because you use the iron on bonding backing, the edges of the fabric circles are kept "raw" underneath the blanket stitching? No fraying occurs?

I also must say how much I admire your organized thread box. Perfect!

xo

Jane said...

That's a very different block there Helen, gorgeous design. Your colours are very cheerful and brighten up this very dreary January day. Enjoy your spring flowers too..I love the smell of the hyacinths. Enjoy the week ahead xxx

Annelein said...

What a bright and lovely colours.... it feels like spring...*Ü*...

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

I love that little tulip pillow. And I like you current project and the idea of fusing the pieces on then stitching around them. That's something even I might be able to accomplish, since I am not a sewer or a quilter. But something on a small-scale I might be able to manage.

Christine B said...

Love the look of this beautiful quilt Helen. The fabrics you have chosen are fabulous! Aren't the bulbs pretty too.... I have some just starting to peek through too! Have a lovely week! Christine x

Mickie said...

Helen,
I am happy to say that your cheerful blog has brightened up a dreary, gray day here in Indiana. I love the tulip pillow, and am looking forward to seeing how you sew the pretty flower applique blocks together.
Thank you for sharing such a spring-like post.
Mickie, Indiana USA

Teresa Kasner said...

Wow, your project is going to be spectacular, Helen! Love your color palette. I now want to hunt down some pink Hyacinths! We have snow drifts here still. ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

Marilyn McLeod @ Pink Paper Cottage said...

Helen.. as usual I LOVE your projects! That quilt is going to be gorgeous when done.. each block is a work of art. I've always wanted to try that method of applique.. it just seems so scary to me. Maybe you could have a blog post on how to do that! I think a few others here would enjoy that too.... do you just bond to your shape and leave the edges raw? then do you do the blanket stitch by hand? So many questions! also.. your tulip pillow is the sweetest.. the pop of red on it is devine.. with the vase full of red tulips beside it! Love the pink gingham too. Everything you make just jumps off the page on my computer! Thank you for brightening up my snowy day here in Oregon.

crazydazy said...

Your floral wreath blocks look amazing.... I can't wait to see the border. The bulbs are such a welcome sight at this time of the year.

Lorrie said...

Your blog posts are always delightful and full of pretty things. The flower wreath quilt is going be lovely. I like the idea of having a portable project like the applique. Happy week!

Cindy said...

Your quilt will be so pretty - i can tell already! And I love the little tulip pillow. It has been cold and rainy here for several days and I think we all need some pretty flowers for a pick up. Thanks for sharing!

Gracie Saylor said...

Your mention of blanket stitch lures me to start yet another project that calls for it. The few times I have used it I have loved it...the way it looks, even with my imperfect technique :) Inside I have one pink Geranium bloom and my purple and green Shamrock plants are pretty steady bloomers which is especially heartening now since everything outside is frozen. Thanks for brightening my day with your beautiful crafting, Helen. xxxx

handmade by amalia said...

Such a fresh and pretty design, Helen. Love it. Looking forward to seeing the finished quilt.
Amalia
xo

Elderberry-Rob said...

a lovely injection of colour, just what I needed on these gloomy grey days - the wreath is a pretty idea. Everything looks beautiful, wish you were my neighbour so I could pop round and soak up all that colour and prettiness, you would have trouble getting me to leave!

Art and Sand said...

I can't wait to see the quilt finished - it is so pretty.

KC'sCourt! said...

Love the wreath patchwork. You always inspire me, especially with the colours.

Julie xxxxxxxx

Annerose said...

Wunderschön die Blumenkränze.Ich liebe sie.
Liebe Grüße Annerose

Rhona said...

Your quilt blocks look wonderful....looking forward to seeing more of them!

Pat's Patch said...

Great to see a glimpse of your flower wreath block in progress. Your tulip cushion is fabulous, another winner. Beautiful XXX

Evelyne said...

It's going to be a stunning quilt Helen! Lovely colours!
Looking forward to seeing the result!

Huge,
Evelyne

Jenn M said...

The perfect amount of colour for my day. Thank you!

Jenn

My Little Home and Garden said...

It hasn't been bright here either, Helen, but you remedied that with your flower wreath quilt project! I was admiring your tulip pillow as well. It'll be months before they flower here, but I may have to pick up a little potted something soon. I hope your "secret" project is going well.

Karen

Jo said...

It is going to be exciting when you join them. I always like the combination of squares and circles, they are always eye catching. JO x

Thimbleanna said...

Eye candy for our dreary winter -- your little wreath quilt is going to be so pretty!

cristina said...

Helen! LOVE YOUR NEW QUILT! And your new cushion! You are the best!
Have a nice day and thanks again for sharing!Kisses from Catalonia!

♥ Mary Janes TEAROOM said...

So beautiful Helen...I've really enjoyed seeing your burst of pretty colour this morning...it's so dark and cold here!...I love your tulip pillow and your new quilt is looking so lovely!!
(off to buy some tulips)
Happy Sunday,
Susan x

Gabri millecrocette said...

Sring in the air with your works!!Happy week

Lee said...

Hi helen.that quilt is quite something.I just adore the fabric you use.I am in love with that Tulip pillow,I am a huge Tulip fan.Happy making.xx

flowers on my table said...

Hello Helen, I am just getting to you now! I have been decorating at home and it is so all-consuming! Your quilt is coming along nicely.As usual I love all your pretty blooms and the tulip cushion is so sweet for Spring. Thank you so much for your very lovely comments, you are kind. Have a happy day, Linda xx

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.