Monday 29 August 2016

Late Summer

 Today has been a gorgeously sunny bank holiday here......we had a lovely walk this morning along our own stretch of coastline and saw blackberries ripening in the hedgerows, butterflies and damselflies and lots of seabirds............last week a kind friend and neighbour brought me these plums, as she does every year and this weekend we had our first late summer (nearly autumn) crumble...........
 ..........i made this little garland of birds with scraps left from my blue and white quilt.....the pattern is the rainbow birds one from my book modern vintage gifts........
 .............and here is the new quilt being quilted..........as i usually do, i pinned all the layers together with curved basting pins which normally works really well.........but this time the layers felt rather slippery so i went up to the attic and dug out a big embroidery hoop to use and that seems to be working much better.....
 ..........a bit of quilting in the sunny garden..........
 .................the sweet japanese anemones are flowering here now.....love them in this beautiful ken eardley jug (purchased from the janet bell gallery here).............
 ................blue hydrangeas below from my daughter's garden.............x
 ..............and tomatoes grown by mr p in our greenhouse...............they are delicious......x
 ..................here they are growing well (this is worthy of note as we have had some serious tomato  fails in the past!).................
 .................so bright and shiny.......and tasty too..........
 ................below is one of my projects in this month's crafts beautiful magazine (there are two this time, the other is a christmas one)........this one is a project featuring apples and pears in cross stitch and applique.............you can find out more here...........
 .............soon i will be heading out to the garden again for a bit more crafting, enjoying the late summer sunshine while i can......
 ...................one more view of the little blue birds...........
...............thank you for your visits here dear readers, it is so nice to see you and such a joy to read your kind comments......wishing you a very happy late summer week with sunny days and crafty inspirations....................back soon xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

28 comments:

KC'sCourt! said...

Love those blues - gorgeous colours. You always inspire me

Julie xxxxxxx

Jacky H said...

Good afternoon Helen.
What a fantastic day weather wise for a bank holiday weekend. No rain for a change. It feels like the last day of summer.
Your plants look wonderful. I love the blue birds.
Have a lovely week.
Jacky

mascanlon said...

Such a pretty quilt! I so love 2 color patchwork, wonder why I haven't made one myself. Your garden looks like such a restful spot to sit and sew, glad you are having sunny days!

Gracie Saylor said...

Blue and white are wonderful focus colors for the HOT summer days we have been having here this past week. I confess I whined to Teresa as we trudged across the HOT parking lot to go swimming last Friday, but in spite of my poor attitude we loved swimming in the cool clear water. Thanks for letting us admire your latest blue and white projects, and some of the lovely harvest from gardens around you, Helen. You continue to inspire me to live creatively, and I am grateful to you. xxxxxxxxx

greenrabbitdesigns said...

Just love the crisp blues and whites of your quilt Helen, I must make a quilt or at least try, I have two of your lovely books on my desk this week for more inspiration!!
We're enjoying our tomatoes now at last too, nothing quite like the flavour of a home grown tomato.
Enjoy your late summer days,
V x

sweetbriardreams said...

It has been a beautiful bank holiday Monday hasn't it?! Funnily enough, I bought some rhubarb yesterday and we had our first crumble today. Autumn is tapping at the door and some tasty produce is being enjoyed. I love the birds, I will have to look at the pattern. Have a lovely week xx

Unknown said...

Such a lovely post, and the tomatoes look delish! I visited Janet's website and wanted everything there - one of her prints especially! - but alas, she doesn't appear to ship to the U.S. :( However, I can enjoy seeing her things on your blog occasionally!
Mary

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

Happy Late Summer to you, Helen

Beautiful gift idea in those blue birds

Mickie said...

Helen,
How fortunate you are to be able to walk along the coast whenever you choose. I am so envious:). Our weather has been very August-like here in Indiana, very hot and very humid. However, I have been enjoying the air conditioning this afternoon,and cutting out my blue and white patches thanks to your lovely inspiration. Love the crisp color combination and I love your little blue birds.
Thank you for sharing.
Mickie

Things and Thoughts said...

Amazing photos with the gorgeous blue color preponderating and matching perfectly fine with all the others! So summery, so lovely! Glad you fully enjoyed your bank holiday Helen! May the remainder of August be sunny and blissful for you!
Olympia

Rhona said...

All the blues are wonderful! Enjoy the summer sun while it lasts! :)

Cindy said...

Pretty blue quilt, Helen! I love that you are quilting it with circles. I also like that pear and apple cross stitch pattern. Glad to hear that you got some yummy tomatoes to enjoy. We have had many, but now they are finishing up. the plants have a virus, I guess. Have a great week!

Brenda Pruitt said...

Those blues are soothing and serene. It's so hot here it's almost too much to go outside!
Brenda

pens and needles said...

Beautiful blues, so cool and soothing. Inspiring photos, as always.

Frances said...

Helen, there is something about that first photograph that reminds me of Bonnard's paintings of French tabletop interiors. Beautiful!

All of the post is lovely, but it's that first picture that truly caught my imagination and set memories free.

(I'll have to make of some those birds...thank you for those images, too.) xo

bj said...

I love your pretty quilt...blocks with circle quilting by hand...just lovely

Leanne said...

You always have such beautiful photos Helen, I love the blues today. Those birds are adorable.

Jo@awholeplotoflove said...

All so lovely, so many pretty colours x

Jane said...

It was a glorious day wasn't it Helen. I love all your blues...so pretty. I'm glad you have had success with your toms as there is nothing like growing your own is there. You latest magazine project looks beautiful. Happy new week.Hugs xx

20 North Ora said...

Happy Tuesday Helen. Love your blue and white quilt - so pretty! The darling little blue birds are so sweet. Love all of your blue and whites!!

Judy

Annerose said...

Oh wie schön und das Blau ist so erfrischend.
Liebe Grüße Annerose

Summer said...

Your morning walk sounds so nice ♥

summerdaisycottage.blogspot.com

Teresa Kasner said...

Hello Helen! I adore your new bird hanging.. I have your book and want to make some birds of my own. I have a string of chickens in my dining room and would like to have a strand of them that I made myself, ala Helen! Congrats to Mr. P on his fabulous tomatoes.. bravo!! I bought a cross stitch kit and have a photo of it on my blog post from yesterday.. I hope you take a look.. it's pretty amazing. ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

Jo said...

I totally believe in 'Late summer crumbles' I don't want to wish summer away just yet. I can smell that greenhouse right now, it is one of my favourite childhood memory smells. I was going to quilt in circles on my square quilt but chickened out at the last minute nevertheless I spent a happy hour in the garden yesterday on my quilt.

Simone said...

I am loving all the blue! x

Ladybird Diaries said...

Those little birds are so sweet and your new quilt will be just gorgeous, I'm sure of it.
Marianne x

faith76 said...

What a lovely post and all those crafty blue delights :) xxx

cristina said...

I always contemplate your garland of birds that I have won in your Giveaway! This blue bird garland is also very beautiful! and your quilting is beautiful! here always, always all is lovely, Helen!