Monday 18 July 2016

Dimity: a Finished Quilt

 Over the past week it seems i have mostly either been quilting, piecing patchwork together by hand or by machine...or taking pictures of quilts............i'm having quite a quilty crush right now.....this is the little strip pieced scrappy quilt i began in the winter........
 ................the top was finished very quickly and then i took my time hand quilting it in the evenings......watching various tv programmes and movies...........then when the quilting was complete i took a while to actually sew the binding on but now it is finally done.......the backing is a beautiful piece of tilde fabric in such pretty shades of blue, cream and pinks......
 ........the quilt uses lots of soft and subtle but interesting prints from my stash and even though some are very modern the overall feel is quite soft and vintage  which is why the name dimity seemed right for this quilt....it just popped into my head......gentle and a bit old fashioned...........
 ............i took some pictures in the pink lounge with the shaker horse...we have had that one for years, (and i was so sorry when the shaker shop over here closed down).....
 ............on the brass bed post..........and of course a crumpled quilt shot....
 ...................in the studio with my newest wooden horse.............
 ............no need to light my little fire in there this week....it has turned boiling hot and sunny here :)...
 ...............below is the farrow and ball shade card...........i have painted with the shade called dimity and loved it............very soft and warm......the definition of dimity (as you might already know) is a light strong cotton fabric with woven stripes or squares.............it is also a girl's name....i might just have to use that name for my next bunny too...............
 ..............on the aga on a rainy day.............we certainly had a lot of rain here last week.........
 ............on a chair......
 ..............and below is another close up...........i quilted round the squares just inside the seam line and then did extra quilting here and there where there were stripes to follow and so on......
 ..............the big moment was sewing on the binding whilst having a nice cup of tea and listening to the radio..............the flowers are a sweet hand tied posy from a kind friend......she knows what i like and picked lots of my favourites from her garden..........x
 ...............here is a close up of the posy..........
.............thank you for popping in to see me here in my little blog space dear readers......it is always lovely to see you and a special treat to receive your kind comments....especially as this is such a busy time of year.......wishing you all a wonderful week ahead with happy crafty days.......back soon xxxxx

35 comments:

Jacky H said...

Hi Helen the quilt really suits it name.
Its beautiful.
I love how you arrange your shots and take advantage of what you have around especially the flowers in your garden.
Have a lovely week what ever you are doing
Jacky

Lorrie said...

hello Helen,
Miss Dimity is a very pretty quilt who perfectly matches her name. The backing fabric and binding are lovely

Rhona said...

Such a pretty quilt...and a pretty name too!

Gracie Saylor said...

Thanks for sharing some of your creative process with us in your narrative, Helen. Together, the photos and words help me understand and appreciate the creation of dimity...a perfect choice of name for her...and a future bunny, too! The bouquet from your friend is lovely. I picked up a box of wild flower seed mix for a dollar and my youngest son planted them on a patch of ground he cleared on the front pond bank. We are thrilled to see a pretty mix of poppies, daisies and other flowers growing there now! I will try to show you in a future post. xxxxxxx

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

Beautiful work. The smaller squares have a vintage pre-1950 feel. The colors and patterns bring that along so well cuddling with a quilt in summer feels right.
Wishing you an enjoyable summer!

Unknown said...

Another beautiful quilt, I love the softness of it, too. And your Shaker horse! You have much patience to hand quilt, I've done it but always find myself cheating so to make the least stitches possible ;) Dimity is a lovely name for your next bunny.

xoxo, Mary

TeresaB said...

Love the quilt! I look forward to your sweet, peaceful posts every week! Blessings from Texas!

Christine B said...

Lots of beautiful photographs of your lovely quilt Helen and such a pretty little posy of flowers! Have a lovely week..... very hot and humid here but I don't think it is going to last long! Christine x

Teresa Kasner said...

What a beautiful creation you made! A family heirloom, for sure. I love the snippets of your home you show in your photos. What a wonderful stove you have! Your Shaker horse is so cute with the tufts of a mane.. I wonder if it's real horsehair!? I remember making an Indian lance and needing some horsehair, so I went out to the barn and cut me a big tuft of it off our horse. LOL! Have a wonderful week, ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

Tracy Nixon said...

Well done - your finished quilt is gorgeous - a masterpice!

Ali said...

Beautiful xxx

Deb said...

Love the soft vintage look...my kind of quilt. Love the little glimpses of your beautiful home too!

greenrabbitdesigns said...

oh Helen your quilt is so beautiful and i love all the different poses!!
I've never heard of dimity but I agree I think that would be a great name for a rabbit!!
have a lovely week,
V x

Mickie said...

Helen,
I love the sweet dimity quilt. Vintage patchwork quilts are some of my favorites. What a thoughtful gift of the beautiful posy, such a pretty mix of blossoms.
Thank you for sharing.
Mickie, Indiana USA

PamKittyMorning said...

that is so soft and nice, like a sweet old favorite. Love thename Dimity.. I read a cozy mystery series about Aunt Dimity.. just as sweet as that quilt!

Frances said...

Dear Helen, what a long time it has been since I have either heard or read the word or name Dimity. It has a beautiful sound that matches the texture of that fabric.

Your quilt is so pretty. I continue to be astonished at home much stitching you do and how many lovely projects you create. Even in the summer heat.

Those flowers are gorgeous...what a dear friend to collect them for you.

xo

cristina said...

Looooooooooooooooove it!!!!!!!!!!!! and I looooooove too your photos!!!!!
happy week for you, Helen!

Bee Lady said...

Hi Helen,
I have been busy putting together our living/dining room and I have to say that you have inspired me to use some of my scrap fabric to make a quilt/blanket. I shall plan on doing it in the winter. I've made pillows and I have leftover fabric. And I will take my time and hand stitch it! And my MIL would have been proud. So nice of your friend to bring you such a lovely posy of flowers! I love your quilts by the way. I get so inspired to sew when I read your blog.

Cindy Bee

Leanne said...

Hello Helen
Your quilt is so pretty, perfect for a UK Summer evening. Love your posy, I to love picking flowers from my garden, right now we are in the middle of winter so I have no flowers but there are a few bulbs sticking their heads up. Can't wait for Spring. xxx

Marilyn McLeod @ Pink Paper Cottage said...

I agree with Bee Lady... whenever I read one of your "quilty" blog posts, I want to go dig in my fabrics and make something! I too love how you show little snippets of your house.. love the white stove and white rocker, and makes me want to get out my can of white paint and and paintbrush and start re-making everything white! I always LOVE your posts and the bright cheery colors and projects. I love wood rocking horses, and YOUR wooden horses are just wonderful. it's so nice to have cut flowers in the house, especially ones that match your quilts so well!

Donna said...

Hi Helen

I always look forward to reading your blog, it's like a summers day, warm, bright and cheerful and so inspirational. I love your latest quilt, I am new to quilting and love it .... it's so tactile and calming in this fast paced world. Already looking forward to your next post.

Kindest wishes
Donna

Art and Sand said...

Seeing your quilt makes me want to get out my fabric and start sewing.

Annerose said...

Hallo Helen, wunderschön dein neuer Quilt und die Stoffe sind wieder traumhaft. Der Rückseitenstoff finde ich auch ganz toll. Schön hast du das wieder gemacht und immer die passenden Blümchen dazu. Hübsch.
Liebe Grüße Annerose

Sandies' Patch said...

Beautiful, sunny quilt!

Thimbleanna said...

Oh Helen. {Sigh.}. What a beautiful little quilt. I LOVE the soft, sweet colors. And what a fun idea to throw in the black stripes - just gorgeous!!!

Kc'sCourt said...

Love that quilt. Its so pretty
Julie xxxxx

bj said...

your finished quilt is so adorable...so soft looking and all the fabrics are lovely. a little patch quilt is my favorite of all....
seeing this has helped me in knowing what to do on a quilt I want to make...the fabrics aren't nearly as lovely as yours...but it's for my DIL and I picked fabrics I thought she would like....I've been wondering if I needed to add solid white squares in with the colors but I think I'll not add them on this quilt.

susan hall said...

Hi Helen, I absolutely love your new quilt, perfectly ,prettily summer.
The fabrics are all wonderful and so well put together. I've just ordered some of that tilda fabric on the back myself. Could you tell me if that pretty stripe you used for binding is Tilda too ?
thank you Susan

Carole Williamson said...

Lovely blog post as always Helen. I think Dimity would be a lovely name for one of your bunnies. I know the name from the 'Thrush Green' books written by Miss Read, Dimity is the name of the vicar's wife. Love those books. Take care
Love from Carole in Rossendale xxx

handmade by amalia said...

Where will it end, Helen? Your work just keeps getting more and more beautiful.
Amalia
xo

Elderberry-Rob said...

I think this is the best quilt ever of all the lovely ones you have made - it has a delightful vintage feel and I like the stripey bits which break up the floral and make it more 'grown up'.

Pat's Patch said...

Your quilt is beautiful ..love the soft faded fabrics ..perfect for sweet dreams. Gorgeous flowers too. XXX









driftwood said...

oh it's beautiful Helen x

doodlebugmom said...

beautiful quilt, beautiful flowers, and a lovely home. Visiting your blog makes me happy :)

Jen Kershner said...

Your quilt is so beautiful. I am really longing to make one, maybe a throw to start. Your colors and patterns are so inspiring to me!