Monday 27 June 2016

Chrysanthemums and Other Flowers

 My plan recently has been to finish off as many works in progress as i can and the plan seems to be working.............this week the little chrysanthemum flowers quilt top was completed.........
 ...............it was a pleasure to sew these pretty paper pieced flowers.......you can find the paper pieces for these and many other inspiring shapes at the wonderful sew and quilt.............
 ................some of the flowers use a bit of grey fabric which looks really pretty with the pink and i was going to use grey sashing originally but the scrappy pinks and reds looked nicer in the end......i will be using a grey polka dot fabric for the backing though..........i hope to have it beautifully long arm quilted now by a clever lady.........will show you it when it is all finished of course......
 ................a close up of the chrysanthemum flower appliqued onto a white background and with a red stitched line around the edge...........below are some pictures of when i began making this quilt top and the little sign i had just acquired.............
 ................flowers are everywhere around me this week.............and my crochet is all in flowery colours too...........
 ..............these flowers from the garden are displayed in an old mustard pot that we brought home from france a couple of years ago...........
 ...............the ones below are from a huge shrub in the garden, covered with these tiny pink flowers which are in turn covered with bees :) .............
 ..............sweet summery pale pink peonies....not from the garden though, i bought these from the supermarket as we no longer have any growing in the garden....not sure what happened to the peonies here but they have somehow disappeared..............
 .................below is a little jar of pinks (or carnations or gillyflowers) which i pick for my work table....the delicious clove sweet scent reminds me of childhood and my grandma who loved them too......the fussy cut paper piece squares are ready to be added to another work in progress and the flowers just happened to match....always fun to find these serendipitous combinations......
 ..............out into the garden now to see how my cutting patch is getting along......each day new flowers open and others fade.......there are lots of tiny seedlings in there which are growing well so i hope to have even more colour there in a month or two......
 .............the orange flowers are gazanias which i planted a couple of years ago thinking they were pink ones......they grew and bloomed and now they have self seeded so i have a lot more of them......although i didn't choose orange they do add some zing to the other colours so i think i'll let them stay.......
 ..............perfect little roses that grow over an old wall by the patio......they were established when we moved in here and i love the scent, the tiny round deep pink buds and the multi layered creamy flowers when they open......
 .............the rain keeps the garden flowers happy and blooming and there has been enough sunshine too to sit outside sometimes and enjoy it all.....with a bit of sewing or crochet to do too while listening to the birdsong..........happy summer x
...........thank you for visiting me here lovely readers...it is a pleasure to see you and i so value your sweet comments which are always a joy to read.............wishing you a wonderful week ahead enjoying the summer, the flowers and some crafty times...........back soon xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

35 comments:

KC'sCourt! said...

Gorgeous quilt. You have just inspired me on how to so my youngest grand=daughter's quilt. You have a pretty garden.

I agree 'do what you love everyday'
Julie xxxxxxxxxxxx

Mickie said...

Helen,
Oh my, what a beautiful post to begin my day and inspire me to do a little piecing on quilt or two. I love the new chrysanthemum quilt top and must gather some red and pink fabrics from my stash. How could one not be inspired by the lovely posies in your wonderful garden. My small cutting garden is brightening up my home with some sweet blossoms as well. Love summertime!
Thank you for sharing,
Mickie, Indiana USA

PamKittyMorning said...

Oh your garden !!!! I'm so envious of the green and the flowers! We have quite a drought and are rationed out water so I have very little plants anymore, mostly in pots. Love the quilt!! Everything is so pretty here!

Little Quiltsong said...

I just LOVE your Chrysanthemum quilt. The blocks are so cute and more 'chubby-like'. I need to make a baby size quilt like this. Love the pink and red color scheme. Beautiful quilting!

greenrabbitdesigns said...

Oh my Helen that quilt top is so pretty!
I really love those little floral squares for your new project, looking forward to seeing what they become and of course your crochet is gorgeous.
I love it when little flowers pop up in the garden that you weren't expecting, always a nice little surprise.
V x

Susan said...

I live vicariously through your garden. :-) It is so lovely. Your quilt looks so pretty. I'm looking forward to seeing you finish your works in progress. Perhaps it will motivate me.

Jacky H said...

Hi Helen
your quilt is beautiful.
I'm in spain at the moment everything looks very brown.
Your garden adds abit of colour.
I'm back in a couple of weeks can't wait to see the lush green.
Thanks for an inspirational blog.

Jacky

Robbienae said...

Your quilt is darling! I spy the pretty Pam Kitty Morning fabrics and I am anxious to see it after your get it back from the quilter. Flowers make us smile and I love the larkspur. Mine are now fading from the garden but it comes back every year and usually lasts about 5 to 6 weeks. Thanks for sharing.

Linda @ Itsy Bits And Pieces said...

Such lovely photos and projects...the quilt is charming! You are so very talented!

Gracie Saylor said...

Thanks for showing us some of your latest lovely projects, Helen. Your flowers are so pretty! I want my garden to be such a happy mix. It is another of my WIP! Looking forward to seeing your already pretty quilt long armed. Happy Summer! XX

bj said...

Your quilt top is stunning...

LJ said...

Love your quilt top - yummy. I so love flowers!

Debbie - Mountain Mama said...

How lovely everything is in your home...and on your blog! I always want to learn to sew when I visit you....you have such amazing talent. I didn't know that Pinks smell like cloves - I must cut a few and bring them in where I can enjoy the scent!

Cindy said...

Very pretty quilt! I love those colors. Your flowers are so pretty too. I like the idea of a cutting garden. I hope you continue to have good gardening weather. It will be a little cooler this week, so I can get some weeding done:)

Marilyn McLeod @ Pink Paper Cottage said...

I've become a lover of pink and red since I started following your blog! It is so bright and cheery... and the gray really adds a stately touch.....what an inspiring post. I inspire to have gardens like yours! Our new (old) house that we moved into 8 months ago had not one single flower or blade of grass! I'm working on getting flowers planted and more flower beds dug.. some pots of plants and a few veggies... and seeing those little pinks reminded me i want to get some from our local nursery. They remind me of my mom as she had them all over her yard... and I always loved that sweet clovey smell. I'm making a note to myself right now! Your flowers are so pretty and profuse and I dream of having a garden like yours. Thankfully we don't have to ration our water. Marilyn from Oregon (in the dry climate)

marmarel said...

It looks so pretty! I love the quilt, the flowery crochet and the flowers in the mustard pot! So nice pics!
Greetings from Marijke

Jane said...

Your house and garden is in full bloom Helen..such pretty colour everywhere. Your new quilt is beautiful. It is lovely to be able to sit outside and as you say there is just enough sunshine to do that. Enjoy the last few days of June xx

Elderberry-Rob said...

Such a beautiful post with so much lovely sewing and the garden too, the pink shrub the bees like is very pretty, I would love to grow some - will have to look on rhs and see what it's called if possible. Anything that attracts bees gets my vote. Betty

Baa. xxx said...

Beautiful! Such a gorgeous quilt...so pretty in pink!

Annerose said...

Ein wunderschöner Quilt und die Stoffe und Farben passen wie immer hervorragend zusammen. Ich bin begeistert. Auch dein Garten ist ein wahres Paradies. Sehr schön.
Liebe Grüße Annerose

Rhona said...

Oh Helen, your garden is like a little bit of heaven! It must be wonderful to sit there with all those beautiful flowers and bees....such pretty colours and scents....I'm so jealous! :) Love your quilt too.

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

Beautiful and your garden is dreamy lovely.
I like the advertising red and white fabric. It adds a nice interest.

Frances said...

Helen, your chrysanthemum quilt is is so beautiful. You are correct about the benefit of adding a bit of grey to the rosy pink mix.

Thanks for the link to Sew and Quilt...there is certain a huge assortment of temptations to be found over there!

Oh, how wonderful that you have had some rain to keep your garden flowers blooming. That serendipity of the pinks and the patchwork cuts is perfect.

It's beginning to turn a bit hot and humid here in NYC, but thank goodness the evenings are still cool. The mix that says Summer is Here. xo

Jill at emeraldcottage said...

Beautiful combo of pinks, red and white in your quilt Helen. Loving all the pics of your garden too :)

20 North Ora said...

Beautiful flowers - both on the quilt and outside.

Judy

Lisa said...

I love the quilt. Its beautiful! I made a quilt by hand once using moms sewing scraps. You can read about it on my blog. http://lifeawayfromtheofficechair.blogspot.com/2015/06/quilt-of-memories.html

I love all the fun fresh colors within your blog posts. look forward to reading more.
Lisa

Teresa Kasner said...

It's always summer at your house.. at least color-wise. :-) You surround yourself with floral prints and colors all year, which is really a smart thing to do! In my view now is my flowers in the snow blanket and out through the window is my purple hydrangea covered with blooms. What a wonderful time of year! ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

Amy at love made my home said...

Your little quilted flowers are so beautiful and so are the other wonderful garden flowers! Beautifully floral all round!

Susan Freeman said...

I love that quilt!!!

Big Texas Hugs,
Susan and Bentley

driftwood said...

so many gorgeous flowers Helen, just what I needed to cheer me up on this grey day. My gran's garden was filled with pinks. I always think of her when I see them x

Vintage Sheet Addict said...

You really are creative on all fronts...your garden is just blooming! :) xxx

Jane said...

How pretty your Chrysanthemum quilt top is Helen and I love the little flower squares too so will look forward to seeing what they become. Your cutting patch is lovely. Have a wonderful weekend xx

susan said...

Everything looks beautiful - I always love your color choices, such happy colors.
Your pink peonies are making me swoon.

Rachel said...

What a gorgeous quilt, thank you for sharing such wonderful pictures! Your garden is so lovely!<3

Zwergenwelt said...

hello dear Helen,
I had a long break on my blog and didn´t post for so long time.. but now I want to do this again weekly.. I hope so..;O)
wonderful things did you sew, so much pretty quilts and this crocheted plaid, i love the fresh colours in your photos so much!
Your designs are so very beautiful!
Have a good start into the new week, greetings, cornelia