Monday 23 May 2016

Spring Sewing

 I have been doing so much sewing here :).... spring inspiration and lovely fabrics are making me keep adding to my 'to make' list everyday.............
 ...............when i was tidying up my sewing room and my studio, looking for various mislaid items, I found some unfinished objects including this little lollipop flowers block.........
 .............and also these pretty little french flower cards..........i might pin these up in my studio for a bit of spring decoration....maybe peg them to a little line of baker's twine........
 ................the lollipop flowers block was inspired by the picture of the same name in my last but one book pretty patchwork gifts...........i added a butterfly to the block and finished sewing the blanket stitch round the applique............then i sewed on some borders of this delicious pam kitty garden fabric.........
 .............i added a backing and turned it into a spring / summertime cushion........it will actually be used with my other summer patchwork cushions on the garden bench........hopefully quite soon........
 .............i never tire of seeing patchwork with other patchwork.......it is the often unexpected interplay of fabric and colours that i always enjoy seeing and find fascinating.......
 ................i am planning to make a quilt of lollipop flowers....it is on my to do list.....
 ................as are more summery cushions..........
 ..............these pretty fabrics arrived here last week and they were so beautifully wrapped i could hardly bear to undo the ribbon and take them out of their neat little package.............these are strawberry biscuit fabrics designed by the talented elea lutz for penny rose fabrics.............i got mine from the fat quarter shop........
 ...............they are a lovely mix of prints and colours which work so well together........i will be making lots more projects with them very soon but to start with (and to get over the actual cutting into of this sweet new collection) i decided to make another block for my sampler quilt......this one is called sarah (like my eldest daughter).............
 ...............love the tiny prints with little dogs, song birds and flowers tied with bows........
 ..............much more sewing to do and much more to show you next time........here is the cutting garden beginning to fill out with plants that i sowed in the greenhouse..........looking forward to masses of flowers here very soon :).........
...............thank you for visiting here dear readers and a big hello to everyone new who has visited me here this week :).............thanks to those who left a comment last time on the candy bloom post to win my little giveaway houses......you can still enter the draw for these until may 28 ........... wishing you all a wonderful and creative week.............back soon xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

38 comments:

KC'sCourt! said...

I love that Lollipop flower block. It has inspired me

Julie xxxxxxxxx

greenrabbitdesigns said...

Your lollipop block is lovely and it makes a gorgoeus cushion....a quilt would be amazing!
I am so in love with your little French flower cards and your pretty new fabric!
The garden is definitely coming to life...I do love May!
Have a great week Helen,
V x

Brenda Pruitt said...

I miss sewing pretty things. But I can't sit in a chair (problem caused by menopause) for long and I can't have my ankle not elevated for long...
Brenda

Ali said...

So pretty xxx

PamKittyMorning said...

Oh the lush garden photo!!! I'm so envious of that. Love all your projects! xo

Christine B said...

Always love visiting your blog Helen.... really brightens the start of the week! Hope your week is a good one! Christine x

Teresa Kasner said...

I know when you post that I'll be treated to some bright white with pretty colors.. so uplifting! Your greenhouse is so pretty.. I wish we had one. Enjoy your pretty spring and all your lovely crafty endeavors. ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

Linda @ Itsy Bits And Pieces said...

So lovely...I love the fun pillows and all of the charming fabrics...and the French flower cards are so sweet!

Cindy said...

Love all the pretty colors you used for the lollipop cushion! Well, I always like the fabrics you choose. Enjoy your sewing this week!

Gracie Saylor said...

Your new cushion is a treat to see and I'm sure will be a joy to use. I have just had so much fun "window shopping" for quilting material on the link you shared! For years I have been collecting fat quarters for a "dream" hand stitched quilt. I have a small stack of squares, but need to have an all out cutting frenzy so that I can start stitching. Meanwhile I am crocheting a little art bag for Molly for her birthday. Isn't it wonderful to see our flowers fluff out ready to bloom :) xxxx

Lorrie said...

Your pretty makes are so inspirational. Although I love teaching, I'm looking forward to a bit of break soon and I plan to sew, sew, sew! When I'm not in the garden, that is! I did work on a skirt for myself today (Victoria Day long weekend here in Canada), and it's almost finished! Have a happy week, Helen.

Jane said...

Good morning Helen, those lolipop flowers are just perfect for this wonderful sunny spring weather. Your new cushion will look perfect in your lovely garden. Isn't May such a glorious month in the garden. Enjoy your new fabrics, the prints are beautiful. Hugs xx

Pat's Patch said...

So much loveliness to great me this morning! Your new cushion is a delight. It's great that you've found and made a block with Sarah's name. It all looks fabulous Helen X

Things and Thoughts said...

So much energy in your reserves Helen!You radiate good vibes and spread optimism all around. Thank you for this. Your makes are fabulous as usual.
Have a nice day
Olympia

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

You always manage to mix and match pattern and color beautifully and make the sweetest projects. Have a good week.

Sigrun said...

Your colours are beautiful like always, such a nice flowerpot. But where can I get those playing cards? So nice.

Sigrun

Annerose said...

Sehr schön dein Kissen und die neuen Stoffe ganz toll. Viel Spaß beim Vernähen.
Liebe Grüße Annerose

Unknown said...

Oh Helen, I would love to also make a quilt of lollypop flowers! Love the Pam Kitty fabric you used with this pillow project, and love love love the new fabric you just got in, so adorable I'll have to visit FQS to see about some for myself ;) Meanwhile I've just started their Sew Sampler year-long project, so much fun getting mail from them monthly. Have a wonderful week my friend.

Mary

Susan said...

So many pretty and colorful projects. I'm anxious to see the completed sampler quilt. I love all the blocks so far.

Betty4 said...

You always pick the happiest fabric! It's like being in candy land......without the calories! Have a wonderful day.

Jennifer Hays said...

I absolutely love that lollipop block, Helen. It makes a gorgeous pillow. I think it's a very sweet and cheerful quilt design. The block would be so pretty in a quilt for a baby or toddler girl. I hope you're having a good week so far!

Frances said...

Helen, you are bringing spring into each of your current projects!
Thank you also for the link to the fabric source.

Happy sewing and gardening to you. xo

Jacky H said...

Hi Helen
your blog is delightful so colourful and inspirational.
I love the views of your garden summer is on the way.
I'm inspired to make some cushions for my patio furniture.

Have a good week Jacky.

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

The lollipop flowers are beautiful. Their style is a favorite that's s versatile they can be fancy or quaint. Beautiful work.

claire said...

Everything is blooming - the garden looks especially beautiful x

Elderberry-Rob said...

Your new fabrics look lovely, lollipop design is pretty too.
All very Summery.

crazydazy said...

Your post is an inspiration as always....makes me want to get the sewing machine in action again.

Marilyn McLeod @ Pink Paper Cottage said...

As usual, I just drool over your post and the beautiful colors and happy fabrics. Love them all.. you mix and match them so well and that lollypop cushion is so cute. I can just picture it sitting outside on a white wicker chair! I usually read and look at your post many times as there is always something I miss! I bet your anxious to see all of your flowers coming to full bloom! ((Hugs)) Marilyn

Kate said...

Helen, I love your lollipop flower block!!

Art and Sand said...

I love those French flower cards.

Gabri millecrocette said...

Hello really lovely spring cushion...nice fabrics...and good view from your garden!!Have happy days

cristina said...

Helen! love your new cushion! very nice! Have a nice day, my dear Helen! and many thanks for your visits on my blog! love you!

Unknown said...

Your pillows are beautiful. That Sarah quilt block is lovely.

Unknown said...

Your pillows are beautiful. That Sarah quilt block is lovely.

Linda said...

Absolutely gorgeous! I love the colours and patterns. :)

handmade by amalia said...

The lollipop flower cushion is a keeper! I so enjoyed this pretty and bright post, Helen, the very best of spring.
Amalia
xo

gillyflower said...

Just loving the pretty patchwork and applique cushion!So sweet!
Have a great BH weekend Helen!
Gill xx

Tena said...

I can't tell you how much I enjoy all your cute projects. Can you tell me which one of your sweet books has the string of little hanging birds? Thanks!