Monday 23 November 2015

Plum Tassel Blanket

 Now that the days have turned cold and wintry it is time to get the crochet blankets out......
 ................there is a newly finished one to show you today.....the big granny square blanket is finally complete, and has been finished off with plum coloured tassels in the four corners............
 ..............i enjoy making tassels and pom poms to decorate my makes as regular readers know :).....
 ...........the simple squares for this blanket are made using the most basic granny square pattern (easy to find online) and each has 11 rounds....the 12th round is the joining round............i used the join as you go method......
 ...............the yarn is mainly stylecraft special dk but with a few others added from my stash....this is the colour order: stylecraft life raspberry, stylecraft special sherbet, rowan belle organic green, stylecraft special fondant, styelcraft special candyfloss, king cole dollymix spring green, then stylecraft special dk in clematis, lavender, apricot, shrimp, parma violet and for the joining round magenta........
 ................work in progress picture above....crocheting a few rounds for the border........
 ..............work in progress pictures above and below............making the rather large granny squares....
 ...........all the time i was making the blanket the effect of the colours made me think of the beautiful plums we enjoy during the autumn.......there were not so many this year though but still we had a few for crumble and to cook with cinnamon and serve with crème fraiche................

 ..............the yarn i used to make the tassels is stylecraft special dk in raspberry which ties in with the centre of each granny square colourwise........more work in progress shots below........
 ...............i loved making this blanket....i am now deciding what to crochet next as i always like to have a crochet blanket on the go as well as (many) other works in progress.............
 ..............below is my current knitting......it is a shawl with the very beautiful artesano yarn......so quick to make and i hope to share the shawl and its details with you soon...........
 ..............one more picture of the plum tassel blanket on the bench in our front porch......the bench belonged to grannie (mr p's mum) but she gave it to us to help fill up our victorian house when we first moved here....the bench was very dark wood and was the first thing i painted in farrow and ball years ago......i bought a tin of french grey and set to painting it and have been painting furniture ever since.....the botanical painting is one of two that hang above it........
..................thank you for dropping by to see me here in my little crafty space lovely readers, and thank you for taking the time to leave me such kind comments.........wishing you a wonderful week with happy crafty times...............keep cosy............back soon xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxoooooooooooxxx

44 comments:

KC'sCourt! said...

That is so pretty. Love the colours
Julie xxxxxx

Christine B said...

Hello Helen! Your finished blanket is beautiful and the tassels are just the perfect finishing touch! Your blankets always make me want to go and find my crochet hooks and get started on something! Have a wonderful week! Keep snug and warm! Christine x

Cindy said...

What beautiful colors! And I love those tassels - I would never have thought of that, but they compliment the blanket so well. Can't wait to see your next make. I really get inspired by your work!

Have a great week!

Kate said...

Colour therapy, Helen - thank you. The tassels are such a great idea.

Janet said...

The blanket is so beautiful. The colour combination is perfect.

Teje said...

Hi Helen! This is adorable blanket and the tussels are perfect detail to finish it! Your new knitting project has also the most beautiful yarn! Those colours are so delicious! Have a lovely week! x Teje

mynestofyarnandbuttons said...

Beauty in every photo! The tassel blanket is so sweet and colorful. Love the artesano yarn, it will make a fabulous shawl. Can't wait to see! Happy week, xoxoRobin

greenrabbitdesigns said...

Oh wow Helen...so beautiful and just the tonic for this grey chilly day!!
I love the plum tassels!! I have to say I love plums too. :)
Grannie's bench is the perfect backdrop for your lovely blanket.
Have a great week,
V x

claire said...

So much lovely inspiration to catch up on here Helen but most of all I long to be sitting under that gorgeous warm blanket right now!

Kim said...

The colors are simply wonderful and the tassels add the perfect touch. :)

Jane said...

Mmm I love plums and the colour Helen....a delicious new blanket and the tassels are a perfect finishing touch. How lovely to have that family bench...precious things. Keep snug, it's turned very chilly here. Have a lovely week xx

Beca said...

It's very nice. Love the array of colors and the whimsical tassels at the corners. What a fun blanket.
xx Beca

homemade@myplace said...

.... such beautiful colours, Helen!!!!!
xxxxx ale

Gillian said...

Gorgeous blanket. The yarn for the shawl looks really lovely.

busybusybeejay said...

Love the blanket.Your colour choice is always wonderful.Light and cheery.Barbarax

Madelief said...

What a lovely blanket it is Helen. It will be very useful indeed. After a warm autumn the weather has changed in The Netherlands as well. We had our first dusting of snow and frosty nights. Still have to get used to it....

Have a lovely week! Stay warm!

Madelief x

Simone said...

I love the tassels! They really add a fun finishing touch. Have a great week Helen. x

Teresa Kasner said...

Helen, your choices of color are like candy to my eyes! I totally love your new blanket! I also am in love with the colors in that artesano yarn! Can't wait to see what your shawl will look like. I love wearing my handmade ones so much! Enjoy your week! ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

Cream Linen said...

I love plum colour . Your colours always make me dream....
Thank you for the beautiful pictures.
Have a lovely week.
Tina :)

cristina said...

Hi Helen! I love it! and decorate with tassels is gorgeous! love the colora and I like too work with Stylecraft. Your choise of colors is so nice!
Hope you have a nice week and happy crafts! thanks for sharing your world!
Kisses from Catalonia!

Unknown said...

Delicious colors and I love the tassel. Something warm to snuggle up in by the fire of an evening. BTW, I checked on my book order and I don't know what happened to it, but I went ahead and re-ordered and it shows it will arrive here on Friday. I will be a very happy recipient ;)

Mary

Gracie Saylor said...

Helen, just looking at your lovely new blanket helps me feel warmer :) We are having our first real cold snap this Fall, so I feel like I need warming up! Wishing you and yours a Happy Week! xxx

Triniki said...

Es una manta hermosísima!!!

Salty Pumpkin Studio said...

The colors are uplifting and cheery.
I think instead of the darker woodsy colors, the lighter colors are better for winter.

Unknown said...

Loving your blanket and the colours are so warm and pretty to. dee x

Jo@awholeplotoflove said...

Lovely blanket, I think I shall be the same & always have a blanket on the go (& yarn stored for more) x

FlashinScissors said...

Lovely blanket, Helen, such gorgeous colours! The tassels are a great idea! Looking forward to seeing your shawl finished.
I'm sure your wonderful blanket will be keeping you toasty warm this chilly week!
Have a great one!

Barbara xx

sew said...

The tassels make your blanket look very grand!
I like to have one on the go during winter evenings that is easy to pick up & put down without too much brain activity being involved!
I've just started Sarah London's 'Sophie' blanket pattern which will use up my random left over balls of yarn, of which I have many!

I'm very impressed with your photos - who else could have matching yarn/hydrangea flowers?
I count myself very fortunate to be able to crochet, knit and sew, but moreover to be part of this crafty community - a lifeline when you live alone.
Thank you Helen.

Frances said...

Helen, those plummy, lavender-y, lilac-y shades are so pretty together, with the hints of green for accenting. The corner tassels are a great idea.

My days are so busy now, and yet I feel inspired to even more creativity. Just need more hours in each day!

xo

Annerose said...

HaLLo Helen,

ein wunderschönes Stück ist das geworden. Tolle Farben und sehr schön gehäkelt.
Liebe Grüße Annerose

Stins said...

Dear Helen, hurray for your finished blanket, it' s gorgeous! Those tassels look so festive; I am afraid it wouldn't work here though with with our cats ... ;-).
Your bench looks extra nice with the blankie on it! Hugs from Mirjam.

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful blanket.

Jacky H said...

I love your colours there so cheery for this time of year.

Pat's Patch said...

Super colour combinations..love the deep plum tassel addition xxx

Jo said...

Love that blanket Helen, so square on the corners highlighted with the little tassles Jo X

driftwood said...

oh it's lovely Helen, I shall think of you all cosy and wrapped up in it x

♥ Mary Janes TEAROOM said...

Such lovely colours in your new blanket Helen! It will be perfect for these chilly days and the tassels are a perfect finishing touch...I've just been reading your last post too and really love the pretty cornflower and poppy fabric (Lolly looks beautiful too ;-) )
Happy weekend to you and yours!
Susan x

handmade by amalia said...

You make plum look so yum.
Hope you had a wonderful holiday, Helen.
Amalia
xo

Red Haired Amazona said...

What beautiful colours. They are a feast for the eyes and make the heart sing !

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

The colors of the blanket are so lovely. You have a knack for putting colors together and pulling your posts together with a pattern/color theme. I don't imagine it's very often you don't have many projects on the go, if ever at all. :)

Thimbleanna said...

Beautiful Helen -- I LOVE the colors!!!

Linda said...

I love all the colours here, Helen! Very beautiful and creative, and I love your taste in colours and designs. :)

stilusessaywriting.com said...

Oh this blanket is so adorable! I like it so much! Colors are so tender. It inspired me to do such colored knitted pillow-case!

eclectichomelife said...

What a feast for the eyes, at first I scrolled through too fast and had to back track and take my time. Way too much here for me to comment on individually but loving the colours and the fresh crisp clean feel of it all. Will surely revisit this post again and again.