Tuesday 27 May 2014

Gardens and Crochet

 Always at this time of year i am going in and out of the house all day to look at the garden, take pictures of it, pick flowers, and just enjoy the magical garden days of greenery and blooms.....as well as actually weeding and planting, watering, trimming back and checking for snails of course...............
 ..........indoors i have been working on commissions to be published in future months, and also having a crochet crush............i love flower cushions ( i have decided) and here is a new one, just finished.....
 ...............first i crocheted a selection of flowers, similar to primulas with yellow centres and petals in various shades but mainly pinks and reds..............then i made some simple two colour granny squares (there is a round of green (like leaves) in the centres below the flower which can be seen if the flowers are viewed from different angles)..........
 .............i used the join as you go method to join the squares together, and then sewed the flowers on............ and added a pink border.............
 ...............in between crocheting this cushion we went to visit some flower nurseries and bought some candelabra primulas................i have wanted some of these for quite a while, but i wanted to plant them next to the pond so had to wait until it was fixed..............now it is so i have begun the planting..
 ...............i love these plants with their tall upright stems and tiers of flowers.........they combine well with the grasses and reeds that also grow round, and in, the pond..............

 ............i made a plain white granny square for the back of the cushion and joined the back to the front with a pale green border around the whole outer edge........the yarn is (almost) all from the stylecraft special dk range................

 ...............besides the crochet cushion i've also finished off the little crochet bag for daisy's birthday next weekend..........we have bought her some other surprises too.................
 ..................i made a crochet daisy flower for her little bag of course.........daisy herself spent a few hours with me today and we went for a walk, spotting daisies and buttercups in the fields and park, going on the swings and slide, then home for tea, reading, colouring and singing songs from *frozen*.............thanks to this movie daisy now knows the word 'fractals' :)..............
...........i hope she likes her little bag....i made a long strap for it as she tends to favour across-the body-bags :).............the bag's lining is the gorgeous colourful polka dot from pam kitty picnic......i love this fabric and its colours seem to blend in with everything i make.........i will have something else made with it to show you soon...................
 .............i was very lucky this week and had a gift in the mail myself...........this pretty summery lemony tea towel was sent to me by my dear blog friend robin from my nest of yarn and buttons......
thank you robin, it was a lovely surprise and will be enjoyed a lot :)................
 ..............one of the best things in the garden at the moment is that there are so many flowers to pick to make sweet scented posies for around the house, one of my favourite things to do, and everyone else enjoys them too.............
..............this is one of the old roses shown growing in the top picture, with the potting shed in the background, this rose bush is covered in buds all ready to open and i love it more every year..............
.............thank you for visiting me here, dear readers, i love to see you and your sweet comments are a real joy to receive too............wishing you a wonderful week with flowers and sunshine and happy crafty times..................back soon xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

49 comments:

crazydazy said...

your crocheted flower cushion is very pretty...I'm sure daisy will love her bag.

Unknown said...

nice crochet and flowers...

Wilfing Mum said...

Oh I adore your flower cushion! I'm thinking of making a granny square cushion & think I might just have to add some flowers to it too! The little bag is lovely too.

Leanne Morici said...

How nice to come home from work and find a new blog post from you. It's always so relaxing & enjoyable to hear about what you've been up to & to be inspired by your projects. I so wish the Stylecraft yarn was available here in the US, it looks like wonderful yarn to work with. Thanks for sharing :)
Smiles, DianeM

Teresa Kasner said...

Hello my friend Helen from across the pond! You amaze me how quickly you took to crochet and the pretty happy colored things you created! Bravo to you! Sounds like Daisy and you had fun on your walk and she is going to love all her gift handmade by grandma! ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

Unknown said...

Oh Helen I am drooling over your cushion and want to make one now! As always Helen your posts are full of the most beautiful makes and images which never cease to inspire me. Thank you once again Helen, you always give so much for us to look at and think about. I am dreaming of your lovely cushion already. Have a fabulous week Helen, sending you big hugs and loves
Dorothyxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Anonymous said...

Hi Helen! Best way to finish the day to read your sweet post! I was just closing the comuputer and wanted to see 'still something' and found your flowery post! So cute cushion and Daily's bag is adorable! I'm just crocheting the scarf for my bunny. Hugs! x Teje

mynestofyarnandbuttons said...

Hi Helen, What a sweet and colorful post. I too am loving your flower cushion. If it doesn't say spring/summer nothing does! The new flowers from the nursery are perfect for your pond area and I love the two shades of pink. Daisy will love her girlie bag and do I spy crocs! (and of course pink) Lovely to have time alone with one grandchild, I always love that one on one time. Your gardens are certainly something to be enjoyed, so happy you are finding the time!
Happy week to you, xoRobin

sky-blu-pink said...

How clever that your cushions and Daisy's fab bag match your garden perfectly!

Amy at love made my home said...

Both your garden and all of your crochet projects look so lovely - and very floraly and spring like! Hope that you are enjoying them. Oh and love that tea towel! xx

Jane said...

What a pretty Daisy bag Helen, she wil love her presents. Since our Daisy was born I really noticed how pretty daisies crop up everywhere including my lawn. Your crochet cushion is very sweet too, you really have mastered the art so quickly, it's still on my bucket list of things I would love to learn..one day! Have a good week despite this dreary weather xx

gillyflower said...

Such a pretty crochet cushion Helen,and I love the sweet little bag you made for Daisy. I'm sure she will love it!
Sounds like you've been busy plannig and making lots of future projects - best thing with all this wet weather!
Have a good week Helen!
Gill xx

Chrysalis said...

All so pretty, Helen. Daisy will love her pressies. And your garden is gorgeous. x

Jennifer Hays said...

The cushion is just splendid, Helen. I love the mix of brights and pastels you used. The bag is lovely too, very ladylike. Daisy will be thrilled. I'm the same, in and out all day to look at my flowers!

Cindy said...

Very pretty cushion and bag too. I love those primulas and need to find a place to order them. I'm sure your garden is lovely now. I'd love to see more pictures of it:)

Brenda Pruitt said...

Beautiful crocheted flowers and real ones too!
Brenda

Joy said...

I'm also loving your beautiful cushion and Daisy bag, Helen, how pretty they are, and I'm sure Daisy will love her gifts!
It's so nice that you can flit in and out your pretty garden all day long and how lovely are your primulas - perfect! I do hope the weather keeps nice for you - enjoy! xoJoy

vintage grey said...

Oh, your cushion is just so pretty and sweet!! And, how cute is the crocheted bag with daisies!! A lovely walk you both had together!! Wishing you a lovely week Helen!! xo Heather

Sigrun said...

So cute, Helen!

Sigrun

Anonymous said...

Well I cannot imagine a little girl that wouldn´t enjoy such a lovely bag!

Elderberry-Rob said...

Isn't it wonderful to step out into a garden at this time of the year and see the buds coming out - I have some roses planted in the winter flowering for the first time and my first peonie - your cushions are so very pretty - we don't have anything pink/pastel here as it would be too much for the men to adjust to! but I do secretly long for a little corner of icecream colours and soft textures! Betty

Poppy Black said...

One day I would love to make a cushion just like your one.
I have dabbled in crochet but it does not come naturally to me! xxx

justpootling said...

Your cushion is so pretty Helen,a true burst of sunshine !
Kate x

moonstruckcreations said...

So many pretty things Helen - I love the way you have used the flowers on your cushion.

Helenxx

driftwood said...

so many pretties! I was drooling over primulas in a garden at the weekend and wondering where I could fit them into my garden, they are so lovely!

claire said...

So another co-incidence - a shared love of candelabra prim's! I just painted one and it was quite difficult. Hope Daisy has a great birthday - my Lucy would have adored clicking around in pink shoes and a bag to fill with treasures - I'm sure it will be a big hit :)

Vintage Sheet Addict said...

What a lovely post Helen, it's so grey and cold here I needed this! Great little bag :) x

Pat's Patch said...

Hello Helen, Your crochet crush is certainly working and catching - your makes are lovely, Daisy cannot but love her little bag. Matching your flowers - wonderful! Love Pat x

Elsa said...

Hi! You do wonderful and lovely things! Elsa

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

You know what colors you like and are automatically drawn to them so of course the polka dotted fabric would match. In fact, it seems that everything around you just seems to go together. Love the cushion and, of course, Daisy will love her little bag. It will be perfect for carrying along and collecting things. Have a wonderful day. Tammy

Christine said...

Your crochet is so beautiful. I love the flowers (real and crochet).

Unknown said...

I guarantee she will adore that sweet bag, and I envisage the two of you shopping and having cake in a cafe, her jolly bag held close on her shoulder! Lovely crochet cushion, too - and those primulas! They look perfect beside the pond, such a pretty feature! I bet the fairies dance beneath them all through the night...Chrissie xxx

Gracie Saylor said...

Happy Birthday to Daisy! She is sure to enjoy what you have made and purchased for her, Helen. My oldest daughter and two of her girls celebrate their birthdays during the first week in June, and we are enjoying the flowers blooming around us as well. Thanks so much for posting With you I celebrate
life! xx

yarn and pencil said...

The cushion is beautiful and looks stunning outside on the chair. Happy birthday to Daisy; I'm sure she will love her bag :-)
Tracey xxx

Frances said...

Helen, once again, you've shown us how your garden inspires your creativity.

Pink is a wonderful color with so many variations. Just this week I actually bought some pink shoes, having been caught up in a springtime haze.

I like the notion of appliquéd crocheted flowers on crocheted granny squares. They compliment each other so well.

Your own little Daisy is going to be so pleased with her gift.

I am intrigued by how many folks seem to choose the Stylecraft yarns. I've never used it myself, but may just have to give it a try. The color range is tempting.

Best wishes for lots more spring inspiration. xo

Deb @ PaperTurtle said...

I love spending time in my garden this time of year too, but things are heating up here and it won't be long before most of our pretty flowers are scorched by the Arizona heat. I just love that adorable cushion you made, and the little handbag is adorable too! Always a pleasure to visit you here, Helen! :o)

Lorrie said...

There's always something new to be seen in the garden these days. A new leaf, a new bloom.
You are creating an indoor garden with your oh, so pretty projects.

Annerose said...

Sehr schön deine Häkelarbeiten und die Farben passen perfekt zu dir. Tolle Gartenbilder, sieht sehr gemütlich und einladend aus.
Liebe Grüße Annerose

flowers on my table said...

Hello Helen, I am sure Daisy will love her cute little bag, it's so sweet. I love those candleabra primulas too, and they seem to be all over your cushion, bright and breezy. Love the lemons teatowel too.
Thank you so much for your visit and kind words. I can't believe it is almost the weekend again, where does the time go to? Have a very happy Friday, with love, Linda x

Annie Cholewa said...

What a perfect gift for a little girl that bag is. Happy Birthday to her x (For myself, I have primula envy.)

greenrabbitdesigns said...

Gorgeous, gorgeous crochet Helen, you cushion is beautiful and Daisy is going to love her Daisy bag! :) I hope she has a wonderful birthday!
Your new primula are so, so lovely!
V xxx

Chris said...

Hi
I was messing around looking at blogs and blog hopping and wow I came across yours! I have your book and made one of the little houses for a friend when she moved home.. she loved it.I would love to make one of the bunnies and that is on my list of to make.. but I always have something to do. At the moment we are planting up our garden, and I have a quilt to make and several other things on the go and I wouldn't have it any other way, I love to be busy making things
I shall pop back to see what you're up to!
Chris

sweetpea family said...

Hi Helen I love your cushion it's beautiful - can I ask about the pattern you used for the flowers as I would love to have ago. Hope you have a sunny weekend Sue x

Tante Mali said...

Oh Dear, you're creating the summer!
Wonderful!
Have a great time
Elisabeth

Jane said...

Hi Helen, I've just found your lovely blog. Your cushion is lovely and the little bag is adorable. I love your pond, it looks so tranquil. Have a great week.
Jane

Clara {Clover and Violet} said...

Love your garden flowers and your crochet ones are beautiful too!! I do love this time of the year!! That is such a sweet little bag!!

My Little Home and Garden said...

I enjoy seeing your garden delights as well as the beautiful crochet work. The little bag is adorable.

You've brought back a memory of a purse my grandmother made for me when I was little. It had some sort of solid white structure for the bottom half and the top was crocheted with a drawstring. Two teeny, tiny shoes were on the side of it. Well,now; that was many decades ago!

Karen

A Casa Madeira said...

Olá suas fotos são muito lindas.
janicce.

Mia said...

Hello Helen,

Beautiful crocheting again - that sweet bag for Daisy is adorable, I'm sure she loved it! And that pillow - one can't find anything more summery!

Happy day!

Yours,
Mia